"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Don't know. I just dump them in the roaster pan and pop them in the oven overnight. Works for me.
If it works, it works. I can't argue with that. I'm simply giving alternate ideas. The OP can then choose which method works best for her.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
If it works, it works. I can't argue with that. I'm simply giving alternate ideas. The OP can then choose which method works best for her.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I'm afraid of the pressure cooker...on my wish list is an electric SS pressure cooker....also on that wish list is a full-time job.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Cook

Soup Bones

Lots of good input. Thanks to all. Betsy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Looking for heaven in a soup/stock get a few pounds of pigs tails. SV or low and slow at 200 F over night.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

does anyone use a combination of, say, beef shank round bones together with a chicken carcass? or pork and beef together? i only know that i don't see recipes with such meat minglings occurring, but i don't know the reason why.
also, there seems to be little agreement on the best way to roast soup bones. the recommended heat settings go from 250-500 degrees, with times varying from 15 minutes to hours on end....
and then, how does the roasting of the bones affect the subsequent boiling time needed to make the broth, if at all?
and lastly, the beef arm bones i have at this time are extremely meaty. if i roast them at a high temp, might i not ruin the meat? or should i just cut the meat off of the bones beforehand, and treat it separately?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #16
Master Chef

I use beef shin for soups. I brown the meat and cook in stock for 3-4 hours. Never had tough meat.

You could also buy marrow bones to enrich your stock and a tender cut of beef to add to the soup.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I brown the beef shanks and then roast them overnight at 250. The meat that is on the bones falls off and the dogs love the marrow.
That's just wrong How can you give the best part to the dogs?

I love marrow!!!!!!!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I would make a beef stock first. Brown the shanks in your stock pot. Once brown I would de-glaze with a little wine (red for beef but any would do) then add veggies (usually 2 parts onion to 1 part each celery and carrots chopped very rough since you won't be eating these) bring this to a boil, and then simmer low and slow for as long as you can stand it (but I wouldn't do less the 3 hours). Strain the liquid. You now have a very hearty beef stock (not broth). I would then pull and shred all the meat and set aside (marrow is chefs treat). Add diced veggies (or however you like them in your soup) and meat to your stock, heat through and serve.

-Alfred

Tags
soup