Soup Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
Beef shanks have always been my soup bone of choice, but I want to try a different bone with meat that is not so tough. Bones used mostly for vegetable/minestrone soup. Thanks for any ideas. Betsy.

I brown the beef shanks and then roast them overnight at 250. The meat that is on the bones falls off and the dogs love the marrow.

CWS - After boiling the shanks in the soup for four or five hours, as you said the meat just falls off the bones. But...the meat is still so chewy and tough. Does roasting them all night take that chewyness out? How exactly do you roast them? Covered, some liquid, etc. Thank you.

CWS - After boiling the shanks in the soup for four or five hours, as you said the meat just falls off the bones. But...the meat is still so chewy and tough. Does roasting them all night take that chewyness out? How exactly do you roast them? Covered, some liquid, etc. Thank you.

After SIMMERING the bones for several hours, the meat falls off the bones and should fall apart like pulled pork. After that kind of processing, I've never run into chewy and tough meat.

I browned the beef shanks, then cooked them low and slow in the crock pot. Picked off the meat and defatted, and made some of the best beef barley soup ever! The meat turned out very tender.

I pan fry the bones in a frying pan until they are brown, then I put them in the roaster pan to which I add carrots, celery, bay leaf, pepper, grated fennel bilb, ginger (grated) -- these things are under the rack and then I cover them with water, splash or two of wine, cook them in the roaster for 6-8 hours, sometimes 12. Then I dump everything in a strainer, keep the stock, toss everything else to the hens.then I put the stock in the fridge, skim the fat off top, and do whatever .. and make my soup the next day. So all of the soup stock I make is a 2-day effort. First I make the s make the broth and soup.

I bet 90 minutes in a pressure cooker would make the shank meat tender. Or, braise them in a slow cooker overnight. You have to break town the proteins, and collagen (cartilage and sinews) in the meat.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet 90 minutes in a pressure cooker would make the shank meat tender. Or, braise them in a slow cooker overnight. You have to break town the proteins, and collagen (cartilage and sinews) in the meat.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Don't know. I just dump them in the roaster pan and pop them in the oven overnight. Works for me.

Looking for heaven in a soup/stock get a few pounds of pigs tails. SV or low and slow at 200 F over night.

does anyone use a combination of, say, beef shank round bones together with a chicken carcass? or pork and beef together? i only know that i don't see recipes with such meat minglings occurring, but i don't know the reason why.
also, there seems to be little agreement on the best way to roast soup bones. the recommended heat settings go from 250-500 degrees, with times varying from 15 minutes to hours on end....
and then, how does the roasting of the bones affect the subsequent boiling time needed to make the broth, if at all?
and lastly, the beef arm bones i have at this time are extremely meaty. if i roast them at a high temp, might i not ruin the meat? or should i just cut the meat off of the bones beforehand, and treat it separately?

I use beef shin for soups. I brown the meat and cook in stock for 3-4 hours. Never had tough meat.

You could also buy marrow bones to enrich your stock and a tender cut of beef to add to the soup.

I would make a beef stock first. Brown the shanks in your stock pot. Once brown I would de-glaze with a little wine (red for beef but any would do) then add veggies (usually 2 parts onion to 1 part each celery and carrots chopped very rough since you won't be eating these) bring this to a boil, and then simmer low and slow for as long as you can stand it (but I wouldn't do less the 3 hours). Strain the liquid. You now have a very hearty beef stock (not broth). I would then pull and shred all the meat and set aside (marrow is chefs treat). Add diced veggies (or however you like them in your soup) and meat to your stock, heat through and serve.

-Alfred

Back
Top Bottom