Sourdough and 7-grain or flaxseed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara T

Assistant Cook
My last batch of sourdough bread was a puzzle. I wanted to add some coarse chopped (not whole) 7 grain and ground flax seed. So I added them to the flour/water/sourdough start. I added extra water to allow the grain to absorb. This mix sat in my oven with the light on for warmth overnight. Next morning I added a bit of water and more flour as usual. The dough continued to reside in my oven with only the bulb lit, so it did not get too warm. But that dough did not rise.:ohmy: After several hours, I activated some dry yeast and added it to the dough to get it to rise.

Did the 7 grain or flax seed inhibit or kill the sourdough yeast? I've added these ingredients before but had soaked or cooked them separately. This time I tried to save a step. Did I do wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Barbara T

Thank You Raindance. I do admit to have made bread for 60 of my 70 years and know a specific recipe is not needed for bread. But I did not know about enzymes in flax seed. I will look up a bread recipe that calls for flaxseed and see what the proportion should be. This batch made six 1.5 pound (raw) loaves and I just put the last of the bag in without measuring. Didn't even pay enough attention to guess how much there might have been.

Thanks again and a Happy Valentines Day to you and yours

Barbara T

Back
Top Bottom