"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

No!! Dry measure is fine.

Next time you stir it down, use a white board marker to mark the top of your starter on the outside of the container. Then you can check if it is doubling itself between feedings.

My Audrey II is still going strong, I make a sourdough loaf about every three days.
What does it mean if the starter doesn't double in size? Will my leaving it out cause it to get mildew? I live in Spokane, WA so it's not humid here

Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If your starter doubles, it has enough strength in it's structure to rise, hold it's shape and form a loaf.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
If your starter doubles, it has enough strength in it's structure to rise, hold it's shape and form a loaf.
Thank you for the info. Sad to say, I'm throwing out my starter and back to the drawing board! I read to add some yeast to starter and I think that actually sabotaged my project :( I won't do that again!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #24
Master Chef

Site Administrator

You shouldn't need to add yeast or sugar.

Have a look at this site.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
You shouldn't need to add yeast or sugar.

Have a look at this site.
Thank you for this awesome site! I'm going to read all the listed steps before I attempt this again. I guess I'm not the only one who has stressed over their starter :o
Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I've had the worst time trying to make starter. I've followed the directions given in several recipes and just get ... nothing. No life. Someone told me it was because of our altitude ... but we're only at 1,200 feet so that doesn't seem right. I've been thinking of just buying some ... saw some packaged starter at Raley's. Does anyone know if the packaged stuff is any good?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
I've had the worst time trying to make starter. I've followed the directions given in several recipes and just get ... nothing. No life. Someone told me it was because of our altitude ... but we're only at 1,200 feet so that doesn't seem right. I've been thinking of just buying some ... saw some packaged starter at Raley's. Does anyone know if the packaged stuff is any good?
I too am having to start over with my starter. But mine is non gluten. What I've learned is to not measure but to weigh the measurements so that the ratio is more accurate. I did get it to respond with the bubbling to some degree, but not enough. I don't recommend using regular yeast to help the starter. I've read using 2 leaves of red cabbage will get wild yeast going in starter. I will post link in a bit for you to read if you want.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamileen

I too am having to start over with my starter. But mine is non gluten. What I've learned is to not measure but to weigh the measurements so that the ratio is more accurate. I did get it to respond with the bubbling to some degree, but not enough. I don't recommend using regular yeast to help the starter. I've read using 2 leaves of red cabbage will get wild yeast going in starter. I will post link in a bit for you to read if you want.
http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com...r-gluten-free/
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
FrankZ, I believe all of the whole grains (rye, bran, whole wheat, etc.) carry enough of the "beasties" to get a good starter to bubbling.

Although I don't use a Hepa filter, one of the major reasons I use a particular packaged yeast (after a lot of experimenting) is I want to produce a consistent product and not leave the wild yeasts, whether in the air or on the grain, to chance. But that's me. And neither do I want to have to fuss with a starter so far in advance. Three days is about as far ahead as I care to plan or think about!
I have never had any success making a sourdough starter without adding yeast. I thought that maybe it was because I use whole grain flours. I'll have to give the rye flour a try.

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have never had any success making a sourdough starter without adding yeast. I thought that maybe it was because I use whole grain flours. I'll have to give the rye flour a try.

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada.
Yeah, those Canadian Wild yeasts are too feral... Hard to make them behave...