Sous Vide, any Good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I just read about this..here

Sous-vide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I Old Fashioned? But This just sounds Awful to Me..

I mean.. Take a nice Steak, put it in a Plastic Bag, then Poach it for 24 hours?

No Grill Marks? What about the crunchy burned fat that I love?

Gosh, it looks like people pay extra for this?

Eric, Austin Tx.

The sous vide food posted here recently looks good, but it requires extra steps like torching, broiling or grilling to get it to look that way that we are accustomed to. Do a search on sous vide using Rob Babcock as the poster. (I hope I spelled that right)

Sous vide can be used for things that do not require browning. Fish cooked sous vide will never be over cook and dry for instance.

Sous vide can be used for things that do not require browning. Fish cooked sous vide will never be over cook and dry for instance.

How does the breading hold up on that fish?

:ROFLMAO:

It seems like it would work well for white meat; chicken, fish, pork... foods that might be accompanied with a sauce when served. I'll bet veal, too. Just not foods like steak or a burger (like Rob posted) without taking extra steps to give us the look we are accustomed to seeing. I think it might be fun to play around with.

You definitely have to brown stuff either in a skillet, george foreman like grill, or barbecue to get the brown. However that usually takes about 30 seconds per side.

Just got my unit. Haven't tried it yet but will soon.

Robert

Looking forward to seeing and reading about your experiences, too, Robert.

Well I got mine from Sur La Table this morning. I decided to get one after reading the discussions here about them. I am not at all worried about bacteria. These cooking method has been around nearly 40 years and I have been unable to find anything about someone getting sick from the technique or dying from it. I think you stand a better chance of dying from bad fast-food than this. Just follow good anti-contamination procedures like you would do for any cooking method.

Tonight I did some russet potatoes, carrots and beets pulled from my garden. They were all done in the same bag at 184F for 2 hours. I think added ice to the sous vide to cool it to 145F left the bag of veggies in and added a bag that had a nice ribeye that I got from Trader Joes that I added two cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of bacon grease. This went for 1 hour at 145F for a medium-well. They vegetables had salt, pepper and olive oil in them and stayed in to stay hot while the steak cooked.

When I removed the steak I browned it on my George Foreman grill at 450F for one minute. Since it cooks on both sides at once it was a great option.

The vegetables were perfectly cooked. Had great true clean flavors and were not soggy. The steak was perfect a nice medium-well just the way we like it. The steak was cut in half, half for me and half for my mom. And, we split the vegetables. The steak was still a little pink but even throughout the steak, it was probably the most perfect steak we have ever had.

Next we are doing chicken breast with the free fajita seasoning sheet they included in the box. I am going to cut the chicken in to strips, put the seasoning strip on it with some oil, add in some strips of bell pepper, red and green and so e red onion. This will then be sealed in a bag and cooked and then served with homemade flour tortillas, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.

So far so good. The only thing that did't work out like I wanted is that I had to get the sous vide supreme as Sur La Table didn't have the smaller Demi which would have been a better size for the two of us and $100 cheaper.

Finally if you have a Sur La Table near you check with them and see if the do on site classes, mine here I Santa Rosa does and they offer Sous Vide class for $79. It is hands on, with cooking and eating at the end of the class.

Oh, one last thing I got a Foodsaver 2244 at Target for $84.95 and a couple of boxes of quart and gallon pre made bags. Works perfectly with it and cheaper than the Sous Vide sealer and more reliable from what I have read.

Robert

I just read about this..here

Sous-vide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I Old Fashioned? But This just sounds Awful to Me..

I mean.. Take a nice Steak, put it in a Plastic Bag, then Poach it for 24 hours?

No Grill Marks? What about the crunchy burned fat that I love?

Gosh, it looks like people pay extra for this?

Eric, Austin Tx.
From what I've seen with my Foodsaver, the vacuum seems to suck the juices out of some cuts of meat.

I need to stop reading these threads. I have no more room in my kitchen for any more toys.

Back
Top Bottom