"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
growing up in the Midwest (home of Jello salad).
I have to laugh at this one, mud! One time, when we were having a mini family reunion with all of my MI family, my cousin-in-law who isn't originally from there leaned over to me and said "This is the only place I can go where every time we have salad it doesn't contain anything green!"

Actually, she's a bit wrong--if it's a fancy meal, they'll put a lettuce leaf under the jello or cottage cheese!

Old 03-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL, PA. yes, that's called "presentation", pronounced pree-zen-tay-shun!

Old 03-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #23

Quote:
I don't think of any of these as particularly southern. Ate tons of all of them growing up in the Midwest (home of Jello salad).
Well, you know that southern/soul food has spread across the nation, so it is not surprising you would feel this way.

But in my family, somebody had better bring the potato salad or the coleslaw or folks will be ticked off!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

You are probably quite right, as usual, choc. BTW, where you grew up, was it common to serve spaghetti with a fish fry? Handy Husband ate that a lot at cookouts with black friends and their families.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #25
Head Chef

I talked to the host and he has said that a bunch of other people are bringing tons of food, so he has requested that I make something "light". I don't know if that's possible when we talk about Southern food.

Anyways, nobody has signed up for dessert, so I told him that I would make dessert. My first thought was red velvet cake. Just because I could then practice my cake decorating skills. But then he asked for something "light", I don't think red velvet cake is light, but maybe red velvet cupcakes could be considered "light"? It would also fit the bill of making something and having it completely ready to grab and go for the day of the party.
Anyone have dessert better options?

p.s thanks a bunch for all the suggestions, it gave me some great ideas!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #26

Quote:
You are probably quite right, as usual, choc. BTW, where you grew up, was it common to serve spaghetti with a fish fry? Handy Husband ate that a lot at cookouts with black friends and their families.
Oh yeah mud!

All of the time I see spaghetti at fish fries!
I don't know why, we just do!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #27
Head Chef

Southern desserts are usually pretty heavy from what I've had. Maybe you could go with a salad (not green, but like a jello). If I have any recipes at home that jump out at me I will post them for you.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Here is a light pecan pie.

Classic Pecan Pie

To pack lots of pecans in the filling, we kept the fat in this easy piecrust to a minimum, resulting in a biscuitlike crust.

Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
Cooking spray

Filling:
1 large egg
4 large egg whites
1 cup light or dark-colored corn syrup
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecan halves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Add milk and butter; toss with a fork until moist.
Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, to an 11-inch circle. Freeze 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.

Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap; fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Fold edges under; flute.

Preheat oven to 350.

To prepare the filling, beat the egg and the next 4 ingredients (egg through 1/4 teaspoon salt) at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Stir in the pecan halves and the vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Bake the pie at 350 for 20 minutes, then cover with foil. Bake the pie an additional 20 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool pie on a wire rack.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

CALORIES 288 (29% from fat); FAT 9.2g (satfat 1.5g, monofat 5.1g, polyfat 2g); PROTEIN 4.3g; CARBOHYDRATE 48.1g; FIBER 1g; CHOLESTEROL 25mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 253mg; CALCIUM 52mg;
Old 03-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Peach Cobbler

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into 6 pieces
6 tablespoons ice water
Cooking spray
6 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 3 3/4 pounds)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375.
Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 2 to 3 times. Add butter pieces; pulse 10 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly add ice water through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball).

Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle. Slightly overlap 2 lengths of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Place dough on plastic wrap; cover with 2 additional lengths of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 15 x 13-inch rectangle. Place in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed; remove top sheets. Fit dough, uncovered side down, into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edges ; remove remaining plastic wrap.

Combine peaches, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl; toss gently. Spoon into prepared dish; fold edges of dough over peach mixture. Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar over mixture; sprinkle with almonds.

Combine egg and water in a small bowl. Brush egg mixture over dough; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is lightly browned. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.

Yield: 10 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 302(27% from fat); FAT 9.2g(sat 1.6g,mono 4.3g,poly 2.7g); PROTEIN 4.5g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 39mg; SODIUM 149mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE
Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #30
Master Chef

I like your idea of making red velvet cupcakes. If not that, though, what about strawberry shortcake? I know it's pretty universal, but isn't it considered a southern dessert?