Southern food...any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I'm going to a potluck and the theme is Southern food. Any suggestions? I need it to be a dish I can completely prepare the night before since I have to work the day of the party.

Any ideas??

You're going to have to give us a little more info on what you want to make - main dish, side dish, dessert, salad, etc. I've got 3 Southern Living annual cookbooks, a copy of Southern Cooking by Henrietta Dull, and a few more. Don't mind helping you with one but Don't have the time to type in probably 3,000+ recipes.

Southern food to me means fried or with bacon or some other vile thing called fatback. =/ I can't even safely order green beans around here. hahaha

:heart:
Z

Ok, I guess I should at least give a half-way serious answer. I'll brainstorm ~ Blackeyed peas! Collard greens! Grits! mmm Pecans! okra!? Collard greens! red velvet cake! Southern Comfort & Jack Daniels! Sweet tea! (ewww) and ummmm oh, spicey good Cajun food with crawfish!

cornbread, chess pie, catfish, mint juleps, fried okra, pecan pie, sweet potato pie, fried chicken, nanner puddin, BBQ, country ham and biscuits, greens, Vidalia onions, bread pudding with whisky sauce

that enough?

I've got a cook book called The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook and looked through it but didn't come up with as many good ideas as you all tossed around. I haven't been assigned to make anything specific yet. Whatever I want. I will have to call the host and find out how many people are coming. Thanks for all of the ideas! So far I'm leaning towards: corn bread, red velvet cake or collard greens. Those all seem like dishes I can make the night before.

Thanks a lot for all the ideas!

Stewed okra and tomatoes, chicken & dumplings, salt and pepper catfish, collards with fatback, black-eyed peas, country ham, fried chicken, chlitlins, and of course cornbread. Can ya tell I'm from the south?

Well dang, I can't add anything to the list!! It looks like y'all got it all covered!:-p :LOL: The only thing I don't see listed is lemonade, so, I'll add that.:)

I've been on a 'succotash salad' kick lately - it's great, pretty, and easy to make - and you can do it the day before!

1 pkg. frozen baby lima beans
1 pkg. frozen butter peas or butter beans or crowder peas
1 pkg frozen baby sweet corn (I use the white and yellow mixed)
1/2 cup each minced green, yellow and red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion or scallion

Dressing -

1/3 cup sherry or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves minced garlic

Whisk all that up well to dissolve the honey and salt, then add 2/3 cup olive oil, and whisk to emulsify. Pour over the veggies, toss well, cover and let sit overnight.

How about pecan pie,I have a strawberry pie recipe from a restaurant in Shreveport Louisiana, Mississippi Mud Cake, cucumber tea sandwiches, Pimento Cheese sandwiches, Frozen Fruit Cup Salad, Millionaire Salad.

Most of these recipes are from my grandma who lived in Louisiana. If you are interested in any of the recipes let me know and I will post them for you.

I just noticed.....nobody mentioned cole slaw or potato salad! Where's the mac and cheese?

BBQ is very southern, but they wanted something they could prepare the day before.

BBQ isn't the quickest dish to make, and it is best served fresh, especially ribs.

choclatechef said:
I just noticed.....nobody mentioned cole slaw or potato salad! Where's the mac and cheese?

I don't think of any of these as particularly southern. Ate tons of all of them growing up in the Midwest (home of Jello salad).

Back
Top Bottom