Southern Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sypher

Assistant Cook
I've twice tried to get this right but to no avail.

The chicken is coming out lovely but by the time it's done the coating is over done and lost all flavor.

I've heard of par boiling the chicken first but I like to soak it in buttermilk to tenderise.

At the moment I'm deep frying but maybe shallow frying or finishing it off in the oven might be better?

I usually fry chicken, then put it on a cookie sheet (the kind with sides so any grease doesn't drip into the oven) and put it in the oven to finish. Then I can get the rest of the meal together, do some clean up, and the chicken is cooked all the way through.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a cookie sheet so I'll try finishing in the oven next time.

Do you use plain buttermilk, or do you put in some hot sauce (like tabasco)? Another thing to try is putting a rack on the cookie sheet so the extra grease can drip off.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a cookie sheet so I'll try finishing in the oven next time.

Hi, Sypher. If the coating is overcooking and the insides are under done, your oil is too hot. Maintain a lower temperature so the pieces will cook more evenly.

Also, if you are using larger chickens, that will cause the same problem. You should be using fryers which are about 3.5 - 4 pounds.

I've twice tried to get this right but to no avail.

The chicken is coming out lovely but by the time it's done the coating is over done and lost all flavor.

I've heard of par boiling the chicken first but I like to soak it in buttermilk to tenderise.

At the moment I'm deep frying but maybe shallow frying or finishing it off in the oven might be better?

Welcome to DC Sypher.

By the coating being over done,do you mean too crispy,too dark?
If you could,would you mind giving us the lowdown on the spices you used.Type of oil used.Cooking temp?

I'm sure it's something minor.

Thanks.

Munky.

Hi, Sypher. If the coating is overcooking and the insides are under done, your oil is too hot. Maintain a lower temperature so the pieces will cook more evenly.

Thanks. Unfortunately I couldn't tell what the temperature is as it's only a cheap fryer - on or off. I intend on investing in a better one very soon.

I use a cast iron "chicken fryer," like a regular frying pan but deeper.

Welcome to DC Sypher.

By the coating being over done,do you mean too crispy,too dark?
If you could,would you mind giving us the lowdown on the spices you used.Type of oil used.Cooking temp?

I'm sure it's something minor.

Thanks.

Munky.

Thanks for the welcome.

It's coming out too dark. It looks perfect at 5/6mins but the chicken isn't done until at least 10.

Temp - unknown
Coating base - plain flour
Spices - Salt, ground black pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Oil - sunflower oil.

sounds like the oil is too hot. I usually season the chicken before the flour.

sounds like the oil is too hot. I usually season the chicken before the flour.

That sounds like a good idea, so the flour protects the seasoning.

Do you double dredge? Once in the season then egg then flour?

Not usually. If I'm using buttermilk, I season the buttermilk, then just coat with flour and fry.

You can soak it in Buttermilk to tenderize it, but then dry it off with a towel, lightly dust it with flour, dredge it in an egg wash, roll it in your final crust, whatever that happens to be (corn flakes, panko bread crumbs, just plain flour, etc.) and then fry, 5 minutes per side, in a preheated cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, uncovered but with a splatter screen, with 3/4-1 inch of crisco over medium high heat - or fry it in a deep fryer at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes (following the directions of your fryer for chicken). This method has never produced undercooked chicken and only given me a golden brown crust. Good luck!! :rolleyes:

Covering it makes it soggy. Rely upon heat of the grease and the pan, not the heat of the air around it to cook the meat.

Also, ( I didn't see this mentioned) make sure the oil has reached temperature before putting the chicken in.

All I know is:
1.) frying chicken releases water in the form of steam.
2.) steam trapped by lid equals soggy crust - in my experience.
3.) I don't mess with success and you should do what works for you.

The really important part is to get the chicken cooked all of the way through, and when possible, to share your southern fried chicken with family or friends in companionship.

KFC chicken was/is cooked in a pressure cooker to get it tender and crispy. i have heard this on several shows. just adding info.

my mom did hers in a dutch oven by sound, when the spitting eased up she would turn off the oil and put some water in the lid for the pot then clap the lid on the pot (this raised the temp and made the oil boil and gave the chicken a bit of steam and also the extra heat crisped up the coating). when the sizzling eased up in about a minute she turned the fire up full and removed the lid. she cooked just till there was no more spattering sounds. it was always tender, juicy and crisp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom