Soy powder to make yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluene

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I'm new here.I have been trying to make homemade yogurt. I used vanilla flavoured UHT milk and added instant milk powder to make it more firm. It turned out well. However, I hate the flavour of the milk powder. Can I use soy powder to replace the milk powder? Anyone has any recipe pertaining to this?

The yogurt turned out runny and not firm if I did not add the milk powder

soy powder in yogurt

fluene said:
Hi everyone! I'm new here.I have been trying to make homemade yogurt. I used vanilla flavoured UHT milk and added instant milk powder to make it more firm. It turned out well. However, I hate the flavour of the milk powder. Can I use soy powder to replace the milk powder? Anyone has any recipe pertaining to this?
whats UHT milk? (never mind, I did a search on the term - why are you using this rather than plain old milk? I would think the processing could affect the flavor of the yogurt)

try using a small amount of *non-instant* powdered milk rather than instant milk powder. Don't add too much or it will make the yogurt gummy rather than thicker. Another approach is to line a colander or seive with cheesecloth, dump in finished yogurt, fold cheesecloth over top, and then put a plate with weights on the top (use a can for a weight). Put the colander in a bowl and put the whole contraption in the 'frig overnite. This presses out some of the liquid.

yakuta posted a fool-proof recipe for yogurt awhile back that everyone loved (me too!) - do a search on DC for "yogurt" and yakuta (I think the thread topic was about greek yogurt, but I'm not entirely sure) - yakuta knows his stuff!

Don't replace milk powder with soy powder - soy powder is a flour milled from soy beans. You could use soy powder to make soy milk and then make soy yogurt from the soy milk but that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

I have tried making yogurt out of soy milk and soy powder. It turned out nice but look and taste exactly the same as 'tau foo fah', a dessert the chinese loves. Tau foo fah is made from soy milk with a little calcium carbonate to make it harden. Add a little bit of sugar syrup and it is ready to be eaten. My soy yogurt is just like that!

whats UHT milk? (never mind, I did a search on the term - why are you using this rather than plain old milk? I would think the processing could affect the flavor of the yogurt)

try using a small amount of *non-instant* powdered milk rather than instant milk powder. Don't add too much or it will make the yogurt gummy rather than thicker. Another approach is to line a colander or seive with cheesecloth, dump in finished yogurt, fold cheesecloth over top, and then put a plate with weights on the top (use a can for a weight). Put the colander in a bowl and put the whole contraption in the 'frig overnite. This presses out some of the liquid.

yakuta posted a fool-proof recipe for yogurt awhile back that everyone loved (me too!) - do a search on DC for "yogurt" and yakuta (I think the thread topic was about greek yogurt, but I'm not entirely sure) - yakuta knows his stuff!

Don't replace milk powder with soy powder - soy powder is a flour milled from soy beans. You could use soy powder to make soy milk and then make soy yogurt from the soy milk but that doesn't sound like what you want to do.
UHT milk is heated to higher temp than ordinary pasteurised and keeps without refrigeration until opened. Popular in hot countries but not so much in northern Europe and the UK. The heat treatment means the flavour is altered (quite nasty to my taste but each to his own) and it reduces some of the nutritional content (see the link) It's the same as your Ultra Pasteurised milk
Ultra-high-temperature processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UHT milk can be used for yoghourt (it cuts out a stage in the milk prep) but some people find it doesn't work as well as ordinary milk.

The yogurt turned out runny and not firm if I did not add the milk powder
Did you follow the recipe absolutely to the last full stop and comma? Possibly the temperature was wrong or it wasn't maintained properly for long enough. Did you scald all your equipment properly before starting? Was your starter fresh? If you used a pot of "shop" yoghourt did it have a long date on it? "Shop" bought yoghourts can be 2-3 weeks old by the time they hit the shelves so you need the sell by date to be as far in advance as possible

Last edited:
It's possible that the unpleasant flavour was down to the UHT milk rather than the addition of milk powder. UHT milk has a very pronounced "cooked" flavour which a lot of people find unpleasant.

If it was the milk powder which you didn't like I'm sure you'll find the soy powder worse.

Did you follow the recipe absolutely to the last full stop and comma? Possibly the temperature was wrong or it wasn't maintained properly for long enough. Did you scald all your equipment properly before starting? Was your starter fresh? If you used a pot of "shop" yoghourt did it have a long date on it? "Shop" bought yoghourts can be 2-3 weeks old by the time they hit the shelves so you need the sell by date to be as far in advance as possible

Just FYI, that post is from 2006. I don't think the OP is still around.

Back
Top Bottom