"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is also smell...many times what I provide for dinner, doesn't look that appetizing, but it tastes wonderful.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Master Chef

Yes, beautifully presented food can be appetizing. but taste, aroma, and texture and proper temperature is what food is all about. I have been served food that looks amazing, and that was terrible to eat. Conversely, I have been given food that looks terrible, but tastes amazing (my MIL's vegetable hash). So though presentation enhances good food, it can't hide bad food.

I would eat your pasta based on the description and ingredient list. It sounds great. And in my opinion, looks good.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to enhance presentation for my pasta, without adding stuff that you wouldn't eat?

By that I mean, some dishes you get from a restaurant will be garnished with sprigs of parsley, lemon slices, even edible flowers, I mean yes they are edible, but contributes absolutely nothing to the taste of the dish. As far as my spaghetti dish goes, I don't even want to put a couple of basil leaves on it to garnish, because you really don't want to chew on a big piece of basil leave, it's bitter.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I frequently prepare dishes that look like swill, but are delicious, unless I am cooking for more than the two of us. Pork chops in sauerkraut, bean soup without the garnish, anything from the crock pot, etc. Your spaghetti looks fine, if it was preparing for it's closeup, maybe some chiffonaded fresh basil leaves and a shredding of parm. Dust the surrounding plate with finely chopped or dried parsley.

Still plan on trying it!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

Looks good, I'd eat it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to enhance presentation for my pasta, without adding stuff that you wouldn't eat?
I like to take crusty french bread, using a very sharp knife, cut it on the diagonal and then into length-wise strips about one inch wide. Then I spray them lightly with butter, sprinkle them with powdered garlic and toast them in the oven until they are nicely browned.

Put the pasta onto a deep, wide edged white plate, then stack the browned bread sticks over the pasta with small chips of sharp cheese along the outer edges of the plate in a loose pattern.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I like to take crusty french bread, using a very sharp knife, cut it on the diagonal and then into length-wise strips about one inch wide. Then I spray them lightly with butter, sprinkle them with powdered garlic and toast them in the oven until they are nicely browned.

Put the pasta onto a deep, wide edged white plate, then stack the browned bread sticks over the pasta with small chips of sharp cheese along the outer edges of the plate in a loose pattern.
that sounds good. how exactly do you stack the bread sticks?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
that sounds good. how exactly do you stack the bread sticks?
In a random looking pattern using maybe 6-8 sticks in triangular shapes on each other. This way, the diner can use the sticks as more of the plate is exposed during the meal.

For the sticks, remember; "Last on, first off", when stacking them. You don't want the sticks falling all over the place when one is removed to eat.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

I'm Italian and mom grew basil all year. I LOVE to chew on raw basil leaves and can't get enough in my food cooked or raw. I HATE dried basil and would rather go without if fresh isn't available. Same for tomatoes I LOVE vine tomatoes and was enjoying them all winter from my store. BUT I would rather have none than a nasty mealy mushy tomato. I also want them with lots of seeds and juicy.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm Italian and mom grew basil all year. I LOVE to chew on raw basil leaves and can't get enough in my food cooked or raw. I HATE dried basil and would rather go without if fresh isn't available. Same for tomatoes I LOVE vine tomatoes and was enjoying them all winter from my store. BUT I would rather have none than a nasty mealy mushy tomato. I also want them with lots of seeds and juicy.
aren't the seeds awfully bitter?

Tags
basil, spaghetti, tomato