Spaghetti with Tomato and Basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I have been perfecting this recipe for a long time. I would like to share it and see what you guys think:) This pasta dish tastes so good that I can eat it every day.

4 or 5 vine tomatoes (those medium sized tomatoes sold with vine on them. Those are the ripest tomatoes I can find in low price megamarts)
2 tbsp of garlic and basil infused olive oil (just heat up olive oil with basil and garlic in it at very low heat, for about 30 minutes, and then strain. I always keep a bottle of it in the fridge)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
a small handful of basil, chopped
10 ounces of spaghetti for 2 servings
a big squeeze of anchovy paste
Your trusty pepper grinder
Your trusty salt grinder
Baking soda

Skin, seed and crush the tomatoes.
Heat up the olive oil in a small sauce pan, then add garlic and anchovy paste, stir until garlic is golden brown
pour in the crushed tomatoes, grind some pepper, and cook on high to reduce by half. It'll begin to thicken
Meanwhile start cooking the spaghetti
Time for corrective seasoning for your tomato sauce. Don't use too much salt, and if it's too sauer then add some baking soda. If it's not sauer enough then add some balsalmic vinegar.
Turn off the heat and add basil to the sauce.
When pasta is done, drain and return to pot, add the tomato sauce, 1tbsp of butter, and stir. When they have been incorporated, grate some of your fav. cheese in it and toss to combine. Don't add the cheese too early because they might form cheese balls. My fav is pecorino romano.

One variation you can do is to put the tomato sauce in a skillet to reduce further down, and your final dish will have no runny sauce at all (see below)

2mq9rpd.jpg

That sounds really good! My tomatoes and basil are coming on in a big way, will give your recipe a try! Thanks!

It doesn't look good, but I'm purely sure I'd eat a full pound of it.

It might look better with more fresh basil and garlic, rather than their infused oil.

Last edited:
It doesn't look good, but I'm purely sure I'd eat a full pound of it.

It might look better with more fresh basil and garlic, rather than their infused oil.
actually, what can make it look better is lighting and proper photography
or just have it right in front of you

Be careful with garlic and basil though. Too much garlic will cause you to become very gassy for hours, and worse if you had it for supper! But fried garlic does taste really good.... for the time being. By infusing garlic with oil you reduce the aftermath while still preserving the flavor:)
Also I found too much basil adds some kind of garlicky spicyness that's really overpowering the dish. As much as I love to smell basil, I can't stand the spicy part of the actual leaves, which is why I chose to infuse with oil and add a small amount of fresh leaves.

Last edited:
lol, it still looks unappetizing and yet, I'm still sure I would eat a plate 5 times bigger.
Adobe Photoshop is not a cure. Same can be said of basil. Nice dish, hyperion.

Last edited:
lol, it still looks unappetizing and yet, I'm still sure I would eat a plate 5 times bigger.
Adobe Photoshop is not a cure. Same can be said of basil. Nice dish, hyperion.
hmm.. is there something wrong with me then lol, cuz when I saw the picture (especially the photoshopped one) I feel very appetizing.
This dish is inspired by a food network "best thing I ever ate" episode, in which the speghetti with tomato and basil looks exactly like it. and they sell it for 21 dollars per dish

but spork why would you eat it if it doesn't look appetizing lol, I mean if it look nasty to you wouldnt you just avoid it?

Last edited:
There is also smell...many times what I provide for dinner, doesn't look that appetizing, but it tastes wonderful.

Yes, beautifully presented food can be appetizing. but taste, aroma, and texture and proper temperature is what food is all about. I have been served food that looks amazing, and that was terrible to eat. Conversely, I have been given food that looks terrible, but tastes amazing (my MIL's vegetable hash). So though presentation enhances good food, it can't hide bad food.

I would eat your pasta based on the description and ingredient list. It sounds great. And in my opinion, looks good.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to enhance presentation for my pasta, without adding stuff that you wouldn't eat?

By that I mean, some dishes you get from a restaurant will be garnished with sprigs of parsley, lemon slices, even edible flowers, I mean yes they are edible, but contributes absolutely nothing to the taste of the dish. As far as my spaghetti dish goes, I don't even want to put a couple of basil leaves on it to garnish, because you really don't want to chew on a big piece of basil leave, it's bitter.

I frequently prepare dishes that look like swill, but are delicious, unless I am cooking for more than the two of us. Pork chops in sauerkraut, bean soup without the garnish, anything from the crock pot, etc. Your spaghetti looks fine, if it was preparing for it's closeup, maybe some chiffonaded fresh basil leaves and a shredding of parm. Dust the surrounding plate with finely chopped or dried parsley.

Still plan on trying it!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Any ideas on how to enhance presentation for my pasta, without adding stuff that you wouldn't eat?

I like to take crusty french bread, using a very sharp knife, cut it on the diagonal and then into length-wise strips about one inch wide. Then I spray them lightly with butter, sprinkle them with powdered garlic and toast them in the oven until they are nicely browned.

Put the pasta onto a deep, wide edged white plate, then stack the browned bread sticks over the pasta with small chips of sharp cheese along the outer edges of the plate in a loose pattern.

Last edited:
I like to take crusty french bread, using a very sharp knife, cut it on the diagonal and then into length-wise strips about one inch wide. Then I spray them lightly with butter, sprinkle them with powdered garlic and toast them in the oven until they are nicely browned.

Put the pasta onto a deep, wide edged white plate, then stack the browned bread sticks over the pasta with small chips of sharp cheese along the outer edges of the plate in a loose pattern.
that sounds good. how exactly do you stack the bread sticks?

that sounds good. how exactly do you stack the bread sticks?

In a random looking pattern using maybe 6-8 sticks in triangular shapes on each other. This way, the diner can use the sticks as more of the plate is exposed during the meal.

For the sticks, remember; "Last on, first off", when stacking them. You don't want the sticks falling all over the place when one is removed to eat.

I'm Italian and mom grew basil all year. I LOVE to chew on raw basil leaves and can't get enough in my food cooked or raw. I HATE dried basil and would rather go without if fresh isn't available. Same for tomatoes I LOVE vine tomatoes and was enjoying them all winter from my store. BUT I would rather have none than a nasty mealy mushy tomato. I also want them with lots of seeds and juicy.

Last edited:
I'm Italian and mom grew basil all year. I LOVE to chew on raw basil leaves and can't get enough in my food cooked or raw. I HATE dried basil and would rather go without if fresh isn't available. Same for tomatoes I LOVE vine tomatoes and was enjoying them all winter from my store. BUT I would rather have none than a nasty mealy mushy tomato. I also want them with lots of seeds and juicy.
aren't the seeds awfully bitter?

Back
Top Bottom