Spice Caravan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another one...I can't even get out of a convenience store that fast...:ermm:

Then you don't want to go shopping with me. I have to use the electric carts that the store provides for my grocery shopping. Spike and I have it down to an art. We get two orders. His and mine. For the month for me. We arrive at 7 a.m. when the doors open and we are back in the car and on our way home by 7:40. I have a list with me and it is according to the aisles. No browsing. I start on aisle 8 and work my way back to aisle 1. Aisle 8 is the closest aisle to where the carts are. Spike has the other half of my list for aisles 9 through the produce section. So I hop on one and I am on my way. Beep! Beep! Get out of my way.

One of the reasons I can shop so fast is that there are about five aisles I don't even go in. They are the Goya aisle, soda aisle, and the snack, cookie, chips aisle.

I think my shopping habits comes from having small kids. I was always in a rush to get back home as fast as I could. And if I took any of the kids with me I stayed out of the aisles that could bring on a chorus of "Can I have ....? Huh Ma? Can I? Please Ma? Huh Ma? Huh? Huh?" All is fair in Love and Raising Kids! :angel:

Another one...I can't even get out of a convenience store that fast...:ermm:

Depends on where I'm shopping PF. Now that I know Penzeys quality firsthand I can head to each section, pick up what I need, and leave. Put me in a grocery store and I'll spend half an hour in produce, then finish the rest of my shopping in another half hour - or less. And don't even take me to Lowes unless you have hours to kill! Would rather shop there than Macys et al anyday! :LOL:

Depends on where I'm shopping PF. Now that I know Penzeys quality firsthand I can head to each section, pick up what I need, and leave. Put me in a grocery store and I'll spend half an hour in produce, then finish the rest of my shopping in another half hour - or less. And don't even take me to Lowes unless you have hours to kill! Would rather shop there than Macys et al anyday! :LOL:

CG, let me introduce you to my son Spike. He can be your shopping buddy. For him it is Home Depot. They know him by name now. They offered him a job many times and he has turned them down every time. But he can tell you where everything in that store is located, what it is made of, price, etc. :angel:

But, but...what if you miss something new?:blink:

CG, let me introduce you to my son Spike. He can be your shopping buddy. For him it is Home Depot. They know him by name now. ... :angel:

Addie, I'll be Spike's shopping buddy ONLY if he switches to Lowes. You see, our dear daughter works for Lowes. I shop "the enemy" ;) only when I can't find what I need at Lowes.

But, but...what if you miss something new?:blink:

PF, I don't do "new". I'm a sweats-or-jeans kinda girl and am perfectly happy being so out of fashion I'm almost trending again. Used to work in a mall, was able to watch tags and catch deals you don't find even if you're a regular shopper. Now I hate to have to actually "shop" if I need something. Love kitchen/cooking/foodie shops. Love home remodeling stuff. Not so big with style. :LOL:

Addie, I'll be Spike's shopping buddy ONLY if he switches to Lowes. You see, our dear daughter works for Lowes. I shop "the enemy" ;) only when I can't find what I need at Lowes.

He gets the contractors discount which is considerable. And he just puts everything on someone else's credit card. Whoever he is doing a job for. That way the customer gets the benefit of his discount. He makes his money on the labor. The man that owns the jewelry store that he works for in the morning has a wife who is never satisfied with the house. So he has a permanent job changing the house around. This week it was installing a new swimming pool with lights and a water fall. Then there is the kitchen faucet. She is tired of it and wants a new one installed. The one she picked cost well over $100. I am happy if I just have to go out to the well and lower the bucket.

I get the benefit of his work also. He was doing some tiling for the jewelers wife. He had almost a whole box of tiles left over. So instead of returning them for the credit, he tiled the back of my stove and sink. He also put in some decorative tiles in the middle. Someday I will thank the jeweler for how nice my kitchen looks. :angel:

PF, I don't do "new". I'm a sweats-or-jeans kinda girl and am perfectly happy being so out of fashion I'm almost trending again. Used to work in a mall, was able to watch tags and catch deals you don't find even if you're a regular shopper. Now I hate to have to actually "shop" if I need something. Love kitchen/cooking/foodie shops. Love home remodeling stuff. Not so big with style. :LOL:

I really wasn't thinking about buying clothes at Penzey's...or even thinking about fashion. I meant something new at Penzey's...:rolleyes:

I really wasn't thinking about buying clothes at Penzey's...or even thinking about fashion. I meant something new at Penzey's...:rolleyes:

Oh, I thought it was in reply to my Lowes vs Macys comment. :huh: Oops.

If there were to be something new at Penzeys I'd certainly check it out. But I would be in the know since I would have found out either in my catalog or online.

I think Penzeys sells aprons....mebbe hats too?

I know they were selling towels when I was there last month. Enough of them could be sewn into a skirt, huh? :LOL:

Oh, I thought it was in reply to my Lowes vs Macys comment. :huh: Oops.

If there were to be something new at Penzeys I'd certainly check it out. But I would be in the know since I would have found out either in my catalog or online.

I know they were selling towels when I was there last month. Enough of them could be sewn into a skirt, huh? :LOL:

I could handle Lowe's...never been in a Macy's. I do my fancy clothes buying here: thinkgeek.com :ROFLMAO:

All the preparations are complete. Inventory has been taken, The corner cabinet has been cleaned. the two level turntable has been removed, cleaned, adjusted and returned to its place. The backup spice cabinet has been reorganized. Old stuff has been tossed. I came across some stuff I don't even know why I had it. Oils have been tasted and tossed as needed.

Now I have a list of nine items of herbs and spices I need.

The car is ready and tomorrow I'm off to Penzeys store to fill the voids. I came across a receipt from last November for $45 in purchases. I hope I can keep it in the same price range this time.
Have you tried Sarawak white peppercorns?

Bought some chocolate from a small shop in Stowe, VT one time that included cracked black pepper. Interesting. Not bad, but not something I would want on a regular basis.

I still haven't been to the Penzey's here. I feel like it's too dangerous. I think I need to be a big girl and just go...
...and only bring cash.
(a small amount)

Sprout, I got out alive for under $30 ~ and I did have a list of things I needed to stock up on. If I might suggest something, be sure to get their catalog first if you aren't getting it already. Take inventory. Think of recipes you want to make and the spices you might need. Then go in planning on spending enough time so you can sniff at everything. I bought single spices even though I sniffed all the blends. I think if you buy a lot of the blends you can run up quite a bill! But you can't go wrong with first getting your frequently used items and planning for your next trip! And there will be a next trip. ;)

Back
Top Bottom