Spice Caravan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my first online order from Penzey's as we don't have a store nearby. I'm happy with everything I ordered, and the free shipping. I highly recommend their "Green Goddess dressing base". I suppose you could mix up the separate spices it contains, but the proportions are perfect for a really good blend. This is a real keeper in my book.

By the way, I love fresh ground pepper on cantaloupe, so I'll have to give it a go on ice cream and strawberries. :yum:

One tip I found, Andy, (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) is to keep your old spice jars and buy the bulk packaged spices to fill them with. The prices at Penzeys are dramatically lower when you purchase the refill bags.
The problem with buying in bulk is that most ground spices and dried herbs have a very short shelf life (approx 6 months at the longest and if kept dry and in the dark) so buying in bulk, if you can't use them in this amount of time, is very wasteful.

The problem with buying in bulk is that most ground spices and dried herbs have a very short shelf life (approx 6 months at the longest and if kept dry and in the dark) so buying in bulk, if you can't use them in this amount of time, is very wasteful.

Buying in bulk...here the store buys in bulk and customers get however much they want as it is priced per pound weight. So if I want just a tablespoon of a certain herb or spice I can buy that amount. Penzeys sells bulk by the 1/4, 1/2 and 1 ounce bags, the savings is in not buying another glass jar, you just use your own saved jars/containers.

I always thought there was a 6-month shelf life, then I got a nice, glossy, entertaining and informative catalog from Penszeys. Oh, and it's FREE. :) You would think that since they are selling herbs and spices they would like you to have a frequent turnover of your personal stock, right? Nope. They tell you that since the plants are harvested and processed once a year it's kinda silly to throw out what you have and buy newer ones that might be from the same batches you just threw out. Makes sense. They also tell you to do a sniff test before you pitch it. If it smells good, use it!

I love a company that sells a product and tries to save you money on them too. There stuff is really good, as many of us here at DC will attest.

Back
Top Bottom