Spice Caravan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
All the preparations are complete. Inventory has been taken, The corner cabinet has been cleaned. the two level turntable has been removed, cleaned, adjusted and returned to its place. The backup spice cabinet has been reorganized. Old stuff has been tossed. I came across some stuff I don't even know why I had it. Oils have been tasted and tossed as needed.

Now I have a list of nine items of herbs and spices I need.

The car is ready and tomorrow I'm off to Penzeys store to fill the voids. I came across a receipt from last November for $45 in purchases. I hope I can keep it in the same price range this time.

One tip I found, Andy, (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) is to keep your old spice jars and buy the bulk packaged spices to fill them with. The prices at Penzeys are dramatically lower when you purchase the refill bags.

Make sure you check back in with us when you get back. We will want to know that you and your wallet made it out of there in one piece. And of course we want to know what you got also. :angel:

One tip I found, Andy, (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) is to keep your old spice jars and buy the bulk packaged spices to fill them with. The prices at Penzeys are dramatically lower when you purchase the refill bags.

Thanks for the thought, Steve. I do that. In fact, I bought some empties for just that reason. I even have a WORD file that is the Penzeys label. When a new item needs a bottle, I type the details from the label on the bag onto the WORD document and print the label, trim it and tape it onto the bottle. Penzeys supplies peel and stick yellow labels but they don't take the ink in my printer and just smudge and wipe off. So I have to do with a white paper version.

Here's the last one I did.

Attachments

• Penzey's Label.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 144
Make sure you check back in with us when you get back. We will want to know that you and your wallet made it out of there in one piece. And of course we want to know what you got also. :angel:

Here's my current list:

Cinnamon, ground
Cinnamon sticks
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Oregano, Turkish
Oregano, Mexican
Parsley Flakes
Tellicherri Peppercorns
4S Seasoned Salt
Chili Powder

Andy, what do you use the cinnamon sticks for? I have only used them as Christmas decorations on packages and other holiday craft projects. As a result I usually buy them at the Christmas Tree Shops. Not the best quality, but then quality is not of importance. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought, Steve. I do that. In fact, I bought some empties for just that reason. I even have a WORD file that is the Penzeys label. When a new item needs a bottle, I type the details from the label on the bag onto the WORD document and print the label, trim it and tape it onto the bottle. Penzeys supplies peel and stick yellow labels but they don't take the ink in my printer and just smudge and wipe off. So I have to do with a white paper version.

Here's the last one I did.

Very nice! Do you just grab the description from their website?

Andy, did you get the latest catalog? There is a coupon for a free jar of their new Berbere seasoning blend. It is good! We've used it on grilled chicken a couple of times. Himself really likes it...my tongue said "too hot, too HOT" even though it had a good flavor. But it has more than enough heat.

I don't get the catalog, CG. They may very well give out a free sample at the store. They often do. Also, they have catalogs there.

That's exactly what I do. Guilty of typing that post without thinking. I cut, paste, adjust for size and done.

Andy, have you looked at the Avery labels? They are now removable and leave no sticky adhesive residue. Yet they stick until you choose to remove them. And you can put them through one cycle of the dishwasher. Martha Stewart has a whole line of household food labels. And they all require to be handwritten. I hate to recommend that even one cent more go into her coffers. Also her products tend to cost more than Amazon or even the Staples site. The Avery site offers more of a choice if you type in "food products" for a search. They have some really nice ones for an ink jet and/or laser printer in kraft paper brown with a border. They even have some preprinted. Worth taking a look. :angel:

A Penzey's we will go,
A Penzey's we will go,
We'll snatch the lot
and put it in a pot
and never let it gooooooo!!!!

Here's my current list:

Cinnamon, ground
Cinnamon sticks
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Oregano, Turkish
Oregano, Mexican
Parsley Flakes
Tellicherri Peppercorns
4S Seasoned Salt
Chili Powder
You also might want to try the bold Indian peppercorns and the less expensive Korintje Indonesia cinnamon and their natural cocoa powder and ... :)
We have three Poland Springs 6 gallon cardboard cartons full of Penzey's stuff.

Last edited:
You also might want to try the bold Indian peppercorns and the less expensive Korintje Indonesia cinnamon and their natural cocoa powder and ... :)
We have three Poland Springs 6 gallon cardboard cartons full of Penzey's stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

Lookie there Andy. Your own thread. I had mine. Remember Hooters? Not one of my finest accomplishments in life. At least yours is more nourishing not only for the body but the soul. And JPB, he is gong there with the word "Restraint" in mind. You are not helping him. But I do understand. One can get carried away at just the thought of a trip to Penzy's. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom