"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Spice Caravan!

All the preparations are complete. Inventory has been taken, The corner cabinet has been cleaned. the two level turntable has been removed, cleaned, adjusted and returned to its place. The backup spice cabinet has been reorganized. Old stuff has been tossed. I came across some stuff I don't even know why I had it. Oils have been tasted and tossed as needed.

Now I have a list of nine items of herbs and spices I need.

The car is ready and tomorrow I'm off to Penzeys store to fill the voids. I came across a receipt from last November for $45 in purchases. I hope I can keep it in the same price range this time.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Ooops. Make that ten items.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Well you have had a productive day. Have a happy and not to costly trip.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks Addie. Restraint is the word of the day.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Wine Guy

One tip I found, Andy, (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) is to keep your old spice jars and buy the bulk packaged spices to fill them with. The prices at Penzeys are dramatically lower when you purchase the refill bags.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Make sure you check back in with us when you get back. We will want to know that you and your wallet made it out of there in one piece. And of course we want to know what you got also.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
One tip I found, Andy, (and I'm sure you've already thought of this) is to keep your old spice jars and buy the bulk packaged spices to fill them with. The prices at Penzeys are dramatically lower when you purchase the refill bags.
Thanks for the thought, Steve. I do that. In fact, I bought some empties for just that reason. I even have a WORD file that is the Penzeys label. When a new item needs a bottle, I type the details from the label on the bag onto the WORD document and print the label, trim it and tape it onto the bottle. Penzeys supplies peel and stick yellow labels but they don't take the ink in my printer and just smudge and wipe off. So I have to do with a white paper version.

Here's the last one I did.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Penzey's Label.pdf (38.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Make sure you check back in with us when you get back. We will want to know that you and your wallet made it out of there in one piece. And of course we want to know what you got also.
Here's my current list:

Cinnamon, ground
Cinnamon sticks
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Oregano, Turkish
Oregano, Mexican
Parsley Flakes
Tellicherri Peppercorns
4S Seasoned Salt
Chili Powder
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, what do you use the cinnamon sticks for? I have only used them as Christmas decorations on packages and other holiday craft projects. As a result I usually buy them at the Christmas Tree Shops. Not the best quality, but then quality is not of importance.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks for the thought, Steve. I do that. In fact, I bought some empties for just that reason. I even have a WORD file that is the Penzeys label. When a new item needs a bottle, I type the details from the label on the bag onto the WORD document and print the label, trim it and tape it onto the bottle. Penzeys supplies peel and stick yellow labels but they don't take the ink in my printer and just smudge and wipe off. So I have to do with a white paper version.

Here's the last one I did.
Very nice! Do you just grab the description from their website?