"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #11
Senior Cook
there is a book called Culinary Artistry which has a couple chapters on precisely that, spices and their characteristics, what they pair well with, what they dont, etc. the book is a great one, but it is a lot more encompassing, check your local library if you want only the chapters on the spices... i very highly recommend this book!

Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Chopstix, I have compiled many charts of the kind - for using herbs, measurement conversions, temp conversions, edible flowers, nutrients in herbs, alternative names for herbs, herbs during pregnancy, herbs for dyes, herbs for aromatherapy. In fact - you name it!! Anything to do with cooking or herbs, really, where a ready-reference is required. They are parts of books I've written. (not yet published)

Kitchenelf, I notice you have edited my post, but I can't figure out how or why? Could you explain, please?

daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:31 AM   #13
Master Chef
Wow, Daisy, I'll have to use that for a reference! I grow a good herb garden, and for most tastes (i.e., when I'm not doing a specific ethnic cuisine) I considere thyme, sage, and garlic to be a combo that can't be beat for poultry, fish, or pork. With beef or lamb I'll look for stronger flavors. My family loved my tourtiere compared to others they've had for just that combination of flavors.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up Spices intrigue me

Hi Daisy, thank you for a great reply. I printed the entire thread (13 pages) and hope that all words display. I did not find a print button for this site, so I used mine that covers the entire display including the lost space to the left - may cut off a word on the right. In any event, I will interpolate, if necessary. NOTE: I too write books and file them as private BLOGS - mine are mostly associated with genealogy, music and politics. Thanks again.
maurices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
Head Chef
That sounds interesting Maurices. You should put a link to your blogs. - Sorry I know thats O/T but music and politics interest me ;))
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Hello Maurices
How much spices u put in food and what goes together is a matter of taste, usually.
What to do, if u have been too heavy handed, with the spices.
Well, this depends on what u are cooking. Eg, with Indian food, u can add cream or coconut milk.

If there is something in particular u are cooking, why not post it here, and people can comment about amounts and combinations of spices.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #17
Senior Cook
I agree with Mel, that it's often a matter of taste. Every cooking tradition has its own "standard" herbs and spices that are used and paired in certain ways, and the choices and pairings will be different for another tradition. You may think of cloves as a pumpkin pie spice, and someone else may think it belongs in hot sauce!

The American Herb Society has a lot of nice info. on growing and using herbs (mostly a cross between the British and Mediterranean traditions). Fresh herbs give a special "oomph" that dried ones don't.

Good luck!

TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote