Spices, What it goes with & what it tastes like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTC

Assistant Cook
Hi, I really enjoy cooking but when it comes to spices I'm kinda lost so I'm wondering if anyone has found a "Good" list of spices that also includes what each one goes with & what each one tastes like.

Thanks in advance for any replies:chef:

I have a double page chart that came out of some magazine many years ago. On one side it lists the herbs or spices and tells what type of food works with that spice/herb. On the other side it tells how to grow each of the herbs.
Many cookbooks have some really good information. If you don't find one, look in a book about herbs. They include lots of information regarding what the herbs are best with. ( I know you aren't supposed to end a sentence this way, but I did anyway).

Reactions: LTC
I have to say, some company came out with "cards" of recipes with the amount of spices you need in pods on the card. I'm sure they're not cheap, but neither is buying an entire jar of a spice for in hopes that you'll like it and find out you don't. Or if you buy an entire jar of a spice that you DO like, but that you simply don't use enough to use it all within, say, a decade! I just think that it might be good for experimenters.

I hate to break it to you, LTC, but there is no such thing. It's an often asked question. Experienced chefs still do. Ergo, there's no answer. Certainly no list describing in words what an herb tastes like. Having said that, there are a gazillion good spice lists, including some posted here under the discussion category "Herbs & Spices," that'll help you feel less lost and willing to try. Welcome to DC and enjoy!

I don't see where you're from, but if there's a Penzeys anywhere near you, you can taste some of their spices before buying. I also like brands that have the small jars so you don't have to commit to eating the same one for ages, or wondering if that jar in your cupboard is usable.

I have to say, some company came out with "cards" of recipes with the amount of spices you need in pods on the card.

I've seen those in the supermarket aisle, Claire. I haven't bought one, but I like the idea, too. The cards have a title of a "classic dish," the card is bubble-packed with pinches of named spices and dried herbs, the card's back is printed with recipe instructions. Good for experimenters, good for learning spices, good for developing some TNT dishes into your kitchen.

If you like cookbooks, there's a great book on matching up spices & flavors. It's called The Flavor Bible, and is available on all the bookstore sites and in the major brick & mortar bookstores. I love to browse through it for ideas.

Silversage said:
If you like cookbooks, there's a great book on matching up spices & flavors. It's called The Flavor Bible, and is available on all the bookstore sites and in the major brick & mortar bookstores. I love to browse through it for ideas.

I have The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices, great stuff in there too.

Most of the bulk food stores (locally it is Bulk Barn) will have a spice isle. You can buy small quantities (you scoop the amount you want into a little plastic bag usually). This is a cheap way to get spices and herbs for a dish you want to try that uses a spice or dried herb you don't have and aren't sure you will use again.

I've seen those in the supermarket aisle, Claire. I haven't bought one, but I like the idea, too. The cards have a title of a "classic dish," the card is bubble-packed with pinches of named spices and dried herbs, the card's back is printed with recipe instructions. Good for experimenters, good for learning spices, good for developing some TNT dishes into your kitchen.

I haven't seen them in stores yet (I live in a small MW town), but it is something I wish I could have access to when I was young. For example, the first time I made curry, I wound up with so many jars of spices that I wound up giving/throwing them away when I PCSd. A pinch of this and a tsp of that would have helped me a lot in those days. And, I might add, probably saved me a dollar or two. Nowadays that would be a lot more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom