"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Head Chef

Spiral Sliced Ham - how long do they last?

One of my local supermarkets has spiral sliced hams on sale this week. How long do they last? Can I purchase one on sale this week and still be confident that it will be safe to serve on Christmas?
Any input is appreciated.
John

Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Master Chef

What does the label on the ham say?

I would get one - read the label - and then if you're worried about the expiration date ... put it into the freezer. Then, move it to the refrigerator about 3 days before you want to use it to thaw. Follow the instructions on the label for heating/cooking.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

...Or you could just wait. Spiral hams are a very popular "ad item" around the holidays. You will probably see them again....maybe even at a lower price.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Most hams have a fairly long expiration date on them - check yours to see and go from there. I really don't like to freeze ham, unless for soups or casseroles. (They retain a lot of water) !

Also, if it has a good date and vacuumed sealed, your set !
Old 12-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Just checking on the terms used here but if "sliced" is that you are buying slices of spiral ham, then I definitely would hold off until immediately prior to use unless you are freezing.

If the use of "sliced" here is something else, then listen to the learned people above me.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Bilby

Here is Spiral Cut ham. The spiral is cut by machine. This one was "cooked' on a BBQ grill, with light smoke. I can't remember the time frame, but long enough to cook all of the 'water added' out of it. This results in a denser meat with less water. .......

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks for the input,
Guess I'll just wait. I don't really want to freeze something that I'll be serving for sandwiches. The price is great though, less than half price. Personally I prefer a plain jane ole ham, they're so versitile. Many in my family though like the spiral sliced ham for sandwiches.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL Uncle Bob do you just happen to have a freshly cooked ham sitting on your porch, or readily available pics of food on your 'puter?!?!

I bought 2 spiral sliced hams buy one get one free this week, 2 for $35 in the end. The dates are February on them, but I freeze them just because I have more freezer space than fridge. I don't know when I wil be making one, Christmas Eve is my very special annual roast beef and yorkshire pudding day!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie
LOL Uncle Bob do you just happen to have a freshly cooked ham sitting on your porch, or readily available pics of food on your 'puter?!?!
I Gobbled this one up at Thanksgiving!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

Great pic Uncle B!
I just plan on heating one up in the oven though for an easy brunch item.
I'll have "too many other irons in the fire" so to speak, so I really wouldn't have time to smoke one.
Great idea for a tailgate party though