Splenda, possible cause of Butter Cake Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I've made Butter Cake successfully 3 times in the past. This time I made it with disastrous results. The cake didn't rise and it was tough and dry.

There are 4 possible causes all of which has never occurred before in my previous successful tries. Can any of you share your thoughts on what could have caused the problem?

Possible culprits:

1. I used Splenda instead of regular white sugar. I found that it took a much longer time to beat the Splenda and 12 egg yolks together to make soft peaks. It also took much longer to beat the Splenda and 5 egg whites until stiff.

2. Since I don't have a standing mixer (KA is still a dream) and was just using a hand-held mixer, I got tired and instead of taking 15 minutes to beat the egg yolks as recipe said, I only did 10 min.

3. I did beat the Splenda and egg whites until stiff. Maybe too stiff.

4. Could it be because my new oven is electric? I made Butter Cake successfully 3 times before on a gas oven.

Please help as I want to give this another try, but only after I have debugged the process!

Thanks!!!

Chopstix said:
I've made Butter Cake successfully 3 times in the past. This time I made it with disastrous results. The cake didn't rise and it was tough and dry.

There are 4 possible causes all of which has never occurred before in my previous successful tries. Can any of you share your thoughts on what could have caused the problem?

Possible culprits:

1. I used Splenda instead of regular white sugar. I found that it took a much longer time to beat the Splenda and 12 egg yolks together to make soft peaks. It also took much longer to beat the Splenda and 5 egg whites until stiff.

2. Since I don't have a standing mixer (KA is still a dream) and was just using a hand-held mixer, I got tired and instead of taking 15 minutes to beat the egg yolks as recipe said, I only did 10 min.

3. I did beat the Splenda and egg whites until stiff. Maybe too stiff.

4. Could it be because my new oven is electric? I made Butter Cake successfully 3 times before on a gas oven.

Please help as I want to give this another try, but only after I have debugged the process!

Thanks!!!
Hello:I'm convinced that Splenda is very bad for your body. The Splenda TV commercial(s) are either disingenuous or outright lies.:mellow: There are 5,000 food additives. Your body is unable to metabolize these additives and there is no way they can all be tested. :( May I suggest that you go to www.drweil.com and the Google search engine and search: SPLENDA
I think that the various sites listed will be an eye-opener for you. Good luck:)

There is nothing wrong with using Splenda for cooking and baking. I've used it for a number of years because my former SO was a type II diabetic. But never try to combine it with eggs like you do sugar, even if that is what the recipe specifies. Splenda will quite often have a very bad reaction with raw eggs. Instead, mix the Splenda in with the dry ingredients, and your next cake should come out perfect. You might also want to invest in an oven thermometer, just in case your new oven's internal temperature, and what the dial says, are in conflict.

Back
Top Bottom