Split Peas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
Good Sunday to one and all!
How long can split peas be stored? I have an airtight glass container that has had these green split peas in it for ages and ages...so long, that I can't even remember when I put them into this container....sooooo, should I just toss them, and go to the store and buy others?....thanks in advance for your replies.:)

I've kept them for longer than a year without any problems so long as they were in an air tight canister or the original bag. Most dried beans have a very long shelf life if properly stored.

Last edited:
According to the U.S.A Emergency Food Group: Sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 8-10 years for beans and grains kept at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F.

According to the Utah University Extension: ...with the oxygen removed, beans and peas have a shelf life of 10 or more years. A B.Y.U. study indicated that pinto beans did experience a slight loss of quality during storage. However, samples that had been stored up to 30 years had greater than 80% acceptance.

However, vitamin degradation occurs after 2-3 years and most vitamins are no longer present after approximately 5 years.

As far as "going bad", beans and peas, when properly stored, are exempt... they don't.

Interesting information Selkie.

If it were me, I'd throw them out Ella. Split peas are very inexpensive, and the one time I cooked questionable "too old" peas, and they never became tender, was enough for me. The waste of all the goodies I put in them went down the drain too. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom