"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I had this happen with a 5lb bag of red potatoes a few months ago, they looks fine prior to peeling, but were found to have many tiny black spots inside. I trimmed them as best I could so as not to waste the whole bag.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I say use them, but take a couple of them back to the store and ask to speak to the produce manager. Cut it open in front of him. He would surely want to know and be able to notify the supplier or farmer of this problem. Check the bag to make sure they are not imported. If they are you may want to consider changing brands.
Certainly take them back. UK supermarkets (and I could hazard a pretty accurate quess at the name of yours!) get away with a great deal too much of this nonsense with the quality of the produce they sell.

I've been told over the years that this blackening can be bad handling at harvest or blight or bad storage or frost damage. I suppose you pays your money and you takes your chance. These days I try to avoid buying fruit and veg at the supermarket. My local greengrocer may be a tad more expensive but his produce lasts longer and tastes better than even big s/markets with a big turn over.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I had this happen with a 5lb bag of red potatoes a few months ago, they looks fine prior to peeling, but were found to have many tiny black spots inside. I trimmed them as best I could so as not to waste the whole bag.
Ah, now this sounds exactly like my potatoes! Interesting that yours were reds too.

I must admit the spots are so small, they don't look particularly menacing. I did boil one earlier today but the spots were still there when I cut it open.

I'm going to go ahead and use them in my Potato and Fennel gratin tomorrow - with plenty of black pepper to disguise the spots!

Tags
other, potatoes