"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I make my own and they will always be approximately round. That's because the cream cheese is round and it fits better on a round bagel.
Andy

Playing Emeril here ...I dont know where you get your bagels but mine dont come square. So what you have to do see, is take this sharp knife and just cut off the 45 degree angles and wala, you have a proper round bagel.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I
IBTW I just looked at the site and it is not even being called a bagel. It is bagel bread (whatever that means) so why get all upset over something so inconsequential?
Bagel Bread? I love bagel bread. It has all the taste of a bagel and it isn't 350 calories for 2 slices.
I also LOVE English Muffin Bread, all the taste and it is bigger.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

My Goal is to Save the Round Bagel

If you want to buy square bagel bread that is your perogative. The word "Bagel" means "round." What I want to do is "Save the Round Bagel"~it is part of history and some items are iconic and shouldn't be changed. A bagel represents the circle of life not the square of life and I'm sure if you check with a food historian like Dr. Sidney Mintz he would tell you the history as to why a bagel is round.

Truly if Thomas' wanted something square for sandwiches they should have made their English Muffins square but they didn't, why...could it be that everyone expects an English muffin to be round. Please feel free to eat any ghoulish muntant of food you wish. I'm sure you love chicken nuggets as well~can you tell me what part of the chicken that comes from.

If there are people here at DiscussCooking who believe in round bagels, I ask them to sign the petition. If you don't then there is no need for you to do anything...unless..., you want to see the end of the round bagel.

It is not a joke, it may be frivolous, but it is not a joke. If you look at the signatures on the petition you will see well respected cookbook authors and instructors who have signed: Joyce Goldstein, Steven Raichlen and Leslie Glover Pendleton.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I never said I wanted to buy a square bagel. This is not a product I would buy. As a matter of fact I think that 99.9% of the bagels out there are not worthy of the name. It takes a lot more than the shape to make it a bagel. I don't see you up in arms and signing petitions against poorly made bagels. Why not? Do you only care about the shape?

Personally I would much rather have a square bagel that tastes like a good bagel over a lousy round bagel any day. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is product will be a good bagel. I would be very surprised if it were any good, but who cares what shape it is as long as it tastes good?

I have no idea what your chicken nugget comment is about. For the record I do not eat them or any other fast food for that matter, but that is neither here nor there as this conversation is about square bagels, not chicken nuggets.

Like you said, this is frivolous. Why waste time and energy on such ridiculous things? If it makes someone happy to have a square bagel then what business is it of yours? How is it hurting you? Do you really think that because this product exists that it will somehow destroy the round bagel?

As for the "well respected cookbook authors and instructors who have signed" anyone can sign any name they want to this petition. Check out Mickey Mouse. He signed. This petition is a prime example of what is wrong in the world today. People getting upset at others over such ridiculous things. What ever happened to live and let live?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I doubt tha tsomething like this will be the demise of the round bagel. English Muffin Loaf has been around for years and you can still buy round English Muffins. They are round because the ring they are "fried" in is round.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Calm down now peeps. No need to take offense because of the shape of a bagel for heaven sakes. It's like pasta, all shapes and sizes.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My stomach hurts from laughing. No I can't take it seriously. Sorry. That's my opinion. Much ado about nothing! In fact, I'd like a square bagel without a hole. I hate wasting the cream cheese.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

OK everyone I found out the reason for this petition. It is a scam to get people to enter their email addresses so that spammers can use them.

This is from siteadvisor.com which is a site that tells if a URL is safe or not. This is a quote from them:

"After entering our e-mail address on this site, we received 166 e-mails per week. They were very spammy."
Old 05-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Here is the site advisor page in case you want to read more about it.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Well GB, I dont think anyone would have known the name of the site until you mentioned it lol. I figure when new people hit and run, it's best not to reply in a serious way, if at all.

I meant, clicked on the site. I clicked but didnt do anything. Good warning though.