Square bagels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make my own and they will always be approximately round. That's because the cream cheese is round and it fits better on a round bagel.:-p

I am a huge bagel fan. I like them round and would not want a square one. I see no reason for a petition though. It certainly is not hurting anyone to have a square bagel. If someone wants that then more power to them.

katluvscake said:
yeah what is wrong with square bagels, they have square hamburgers.

Japan produces square watermelons as well. (no joke) They are expensive though...

If I can get them out of a square toaster more easily, I'm all for it. Dont'cha just hate it when they get stuck, & you fiddle around with a knife to get 'em out. :LOL: I'm waiting for a square English Muffin. Round bread - now that's practicle!

Last edited:
I just made a sand. with the new square sour dough bagel and my honey said it was great. When I saw them at the s.market, I thought "great". The hole isn't as big, and like mish stated, they fit much better in my toaster, mine has a large slot and a button for bagels. Sorry, I think it's a great thing.

Dear Friends:
Ella was kind enough to put in a link to the petition about the square bagel. My concern is protecting the Round Bagel not Thomas' square bagels, a Frankenstein neither bread nor bagel. The round bagel is iconic and its shape should not be changed. If we let this Square BagelBread exist what else will be changed, lox into pre-formed squares and triangular hot dog rolls.​

Your help is needed and you must put down the cream cheese smearer and sign the petition.​

Sign the petition and forward it on to other bagel aficionados.

Last edited:
I am a bagel lover. It was the breakfast food I grew up with. Some of my earliest and best memories are of eating breakfast at my grandparents house on Long Island and having the most amazing bagels with ALL the fixings.

I see no reason to petition to get rid of a square bagel though. It is not hurting anyone. If you don't like it then don't buy it. Simple as that. No need to get upset that it exists. The round bagel is not going to go away because a square bagel has come along.

For the record I would have no problem with pre-formed lox squares either. Triangular hot dog rolls won't ever exist because it just does not make and sense, but if someone wanted to create that then I say go for it. You won't see me buying them, but who cares if they exist. Maybe they will make someone happy. Why should that be a bad thing.

I think this petition must be a joke. That is the only thing that would make sense to me.

BTW I just looked at the site and it is not even being called a bagel. It is bagel bread (whatever that means) so why get all upset over something so inconsequential?

Andy M. said:
I make my own and they will always be approximately round. That's because the cream cheese is round and it fits better on a round bagel.:-p

:LOL: Andy

Playing Emeril here ...I dont know where you get your bagels but mine dont come square. So what you have to do see, is take this sharp knife and just cut off the 45 degree angles and wala, you have a proper round bagel. :chef:

GB said:
I
IBTW I just looked at the site and it is not even being called a bagel. It is bagel bread (whatever that means) so why get all upset over something so inconsequential?

Bagel Bread? I love bagel bread. It has all the taste of a bagel and it isn't 350 calories for 2 slices.
I also LOVE English Muffin Bread, all the taste and it is bigger.

My Goal is to Save the Round Bagel

If you want to buy square bagel bread that is your perogative. The word "Bagel" means "round." What I want to do is "Save the Round Bagel"~it is part of history and some items are iconic and shouldn't be changed. A bagel represents the circle of life not the square of life and I'm sure if you check with a food historian like Dr. Sidney Mintz he would tell you the history as to why a bagel is round.

Truly if Thomas' wanted something square for sandwiches they should have made their English Muffins square but they didn't, why...could it be that everyone expects an English muffin to be round. Please feel free to eat any ghoulish muntant of food you wish. I'm sure you love chicken nuggets as well~can you tell me what part of the chicken that comes from.

If there are people here at DiscussCooking who believe in round bagels, I ask them to sign the petition. If you don't then there is no need for you to do anything...unless..., you want to see the end of the round bagel.

It is not a joke, it may be frivolous, but it is not a joke. If you look at the signatures on the petition you will see well respected cookbook authors and instructors who have signed: Joyce Goldstein, Steven Raichlen and Leslie Glover Pendleton.

Last edited:
I never said I wanted to buy a square bagel. This is not a product I would buy. As a matter of fact I think that 99.9% of the bagels out there are not worthy of the name. It takes a lot more than the shape to make it a bagel. I don't see you up in arms and signing petitions against poorly made bagels. Why not? Do you only care about the shape?

Personally I would much rather have a square bagel that tastes like a good bagel over a lousy round bagel any day. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is product will be a good bagel. I would be very surprised if it were any good, but who cares what shape it is as long as it tastes good?

I have no idea what your chicken nugget comment is about. For the record I do not eat them or any other fast food for that matter, but that is neither here nor there as this conversation is about square bagels, not chicken nuggets.

Like you said, this is frivolous. Why waste time and energy on such ridiculous things? If it makes someone happy to have a square bagel then what business is it of yours? How is it hurting you? Do you really think that because this product exists that it will somehow destroy the round bagel?

As for the "well respected cookbook authors and instructors who have signed" anyone can sign any name they want to this petition. Check out Mickey Mouse. He signed. This petition is a prime example of what is wrong in the world today. People getting upset at others over such ridiculous things. What ever happened to live and let live?

Calm down now peeps. No need to take offense because of the shape of a bagel for heaven sakes. It's like pasta, all shapes and sizes. :chef:

My stomach hurts from laughing. No I can't take it seriously. Sorry. That's my opinion. Much ado about nothing! In fact, I'd like a square bagel without a hole. I hate wasting the cream cheese. :ROFLMAO:

OK everyone I found out the reason for this petition. It is a scam to get people to enter their email addresses so that spammers can use them.

This is from siteadvisor.com which is a site that tells if a URL is safe or not. This is a quote from them:

"After entering our e-mail address on this site, we received 166 e-mails per week. They were very spammy."

Well GB, I dont think anyone would have known the name of the site until you mentioned it lol. I figure when new people hit and run, it's best not to reply in a serious way, if at all.

I meant, clicked on the site. I clicked but didnt do anything. Good warning though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom