St. Patrick's Day Side Dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDRecipeGirl

Assistant Cook
Hi All,
I have some great recipes for corned beef for the upcoming holiday... but I'm always at a loss for what to serve as side dishes for St. Patrick's Day. Does anyone have any good suggestions or links?

Thanks,
Lori

St. Patrick's Day dishes

Don't know. I try lots of different things and then post what my favorites are- not just random stuff. I cook every day! I just happen to be having a big St. Patrick's Day family party though so I was hoping to be able to put together a fun, delicious menu.

Thanks,
Lori

One thing I make instead of the usual "boiled" cabbage, is roughly shredded cabbage sauteed in an obscene amount of butter & seasoned with just a little salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. Even my cabbage-disliking husband likes this one.

I just melt a stick of butter in a large frying pan, add the shredded cabbage, stir, & cover - checking & stirring occasionally. When it just hits the crisp-tender stage, I season & serve. Gives Corned Beef & Cabbage a whole new look/taste.

St. Patrick's Day dishes

BreezyCooking said:
One thing I make instead of the usual "boiled" cabbage, is roughly shredded cabbage sauteed in an obscene amount of butter & seasoned with just a little salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. Even my cabbage-disliking husband likes this one.

I just melt a stick of butter in a large frying pan, add the shredded cabbage, stir, & cover - checking & stirring occasionally. When it just hits the crisp-tender stage, I season & serve. Gives Corned Beef & Cabbage a whole new look/taste.

Tons of butter makes everything taste better ;)
I would like this one too-

Thanks!
Lori

I like to cook cabbage and potatoes in the juice from the corned beef (which I cook in a crock-pot with the seasoning packet included with the beef and a can of beer). Add crusty bread for dipping in the juice, and I'm a happy camper.
There are traditional dishes like Irish Soda Bread and Bubble & Squeak that you may want to try, but I don't have recipes for those.

Thanks for all of the help with the St. Patrick's Day recipes... it's all coming together and I should have a nice menu to share with the fam! I think I'll try out some corned beef though before the big day... MMMMM.

Lori

you must have boiled potatoes, and 2 boiled vegetables with the meat. usually it's carrots or turnips, and the ubiquitous cabbage.

you could do a tray of other roasted root veggies or sauteed baby veggies. everything from carrots, beets, leeks, onions, rutabagas, squash, brussel sprouts, stringbeans, peas, even baby bok choy, etc..

roasting is easy: fairly even sized pieces, tossed in evoo and s&p, and roasted in the oven at 350.
for sauteeing, i just melt a half stick of butter into a cup of chicken stock in a wok, then add thinly sliced garlic, s&p, and bring to a foamy boil, then toss in the baby veggies. after they've soften just enough, remove them to a bowl, reduce the liquid in the wok and pour over baby veggies.

some other sides you might offer, for an appetizer, try irish cheddar cheese on stone ground whole wheat crackers, topped with a dollop of spicey brown mustard, and chopped raw onion. you'll need to keep this tray near the beer station.

how about smoked salmon, on irish brown bread (like pumpernickel) toast points, with a chive cream cheese.

or an offering of black and white puddings, grilled or griddled, and served with mini potato or oat rolls and butter sauteed onions.

and whole tomatoes that have been topped and sprinkled with herbs du provence mix, then baked. you could also scoop out the tomato a little and add the herbs mixed with some crispy irish bacon lardons.

another side you might try are northern irish potato pancakes for boxtie. (pronounced box-tee). i don'y have a recipe, but if i remember to bring it in, i just got a new irish cookbook. i'll post some recipes on monday.

We will probably do the corned beef with cabbage, taters, carrots and onions.

We do it on St. Patty's day and look forward to the traditional fare.

But if you want something different can always serve the meat with neeps and tatties.

Neeps are smashed or mashed rutabagas or Swedes, as they are called. And tatties are similarly done potatoes.

Usually served fairly dry, one could always add some butter and cream or milk and make them much more smooth. Could add the two together, it makes a nice dish. Or make the tatties with added sweet taters, a very good combination.

Yes I know that neeps and tatties are more Scottish than Irish, but both are Gaelic, and after all Patty is a saintl, and I doubt if he would mind.

Love to cook the cabbage, shredded, with lots of butter as has been stated. Can always add some Brussel sprouts to the dish. Surprisingly can make sprouts by themselves that way and even confirmed sprout haters love the stuff. Of course some onion cooked bacon, or ham, added to the mixture always helps the flavor.

As for carrots, love to candy them. Are a zillion ways to do it but like to julienne the critters and cook, generally in a bit of water, with some butter, maybe a tad of vermouth, brown sugar or honey and some ginger perhaps. Oh yes, and you have to toss in some dill. Can add other herbs as you wish (this sort of dish I always wing, no recipe. OK, OK, I always wing almost everything.)

Served with a hearty bread and butter, and a wee dram or four of Irish whisky (or Scotch, my genetic preference) and you have yourself a meal that I, as someone definitely not on the short list towards sainthood, believe would make old Patty proud.

Take a joint of corned beef - sear it well in some bacon fat - then add enough water to come halfway up the side and braise for 2-3 hours. Then add some potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage - and just enough water to cover all ... bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer ... cook until the vegetables are tender - about 30 more minutes. You now have your meat and sides - cooked in one pot.

Of course - some say to cook your tatties, carrots, onions and cabbage seperately. That's your choice. Some like to include turnips and/or parsnips- that's all up to you. Personally - I like them ... and the more veges in the pot the better IMHO. I would stay away from adding pasta, rice, beans, tomatoes or old shoes.

Serve with Irish soda bread, plenty of butter, salt and pepper. Wash it down with a good Stout, Lager or Ale.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to do a "test dinner" tomorrow for my in-laws and see how it goes. We're planning a big one for the actual day of St. Patricks. I'm going to do corned beef tomorrow, but I'll be trying out Rack of Lamb too before the big day!

Lori

I'm with those traditionalists who say that corned beef is cooked WITH its side dishes -- root veggies, onions, and cabbage. It is a one pot meal. I'll go with the bread, but that's about it. Corned beef isn't supposed to be a fancy gourmet type meal. It is supposed to be peasant/comfort food. Don't make life more difficult than it already is. I do wait until the last bit to put in the cabbage, otherwise everything tastes and smells like boiled cabbage. I put the beef, an onion or three, the spice packet it comes with, then double that (i.e., I toss in handfulls of whole peppercorns, allspice, mustard seeds, and a bay leaf or two), and bring to a simmer. After an hour or so I add the potatoes and carrots (and any other root veggies you like). I let this simmer all day (great crock pot meal!), then about a half hour before serving, I put wedges of cabbage on top to steam. I take out all the food and strain the water that it has been stewed in to serve in a gravy boat on the side. Serve with lots of good butter and bread, but you already have your "side dishes". My dad likes a little vinegar on the side when he eats boiled cabbage.

I take a slice of the meat, one each of the veggies, and all the leftover juice and make soup.

Since my husband isn't fond of this meal, I take a couple of slices off the roast before I eat it and make him rueben sandwiches for dinner one night.

I have to ask ... am I the only person who prefers the fattier cuts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom