"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Stainless steel measuring cups

I bought the cutest set of measuring cups today, 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup, at my local restaurant monger Star Restaurant Supply (Van Nuys, CA). They have an online presence but their website sucks. Too bad..

Anyway about $12. They're built exactly like professional stainless steel pans, riveted steel handles and all. I'm sure you could do "small" cooking in them, perhaps reduce a cup of stock or saute a small amount of butter and garlic.

p.s. the photography makes them look like they have oil inside but that's just an artifact..

Don't these look like full sized professional pots?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	measuring cups.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	16027  

Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I bought the cutest set of measuring cups today, 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup, at my local restaurant monger Star Restaurant Supply (Van Nuys, CA). They have an online presence but their website sucks. Too bad..

Anyway about $12. They're built exactly like professional stainless steel pans, riveted steel handles and all. I'm sure you could do "small" cooking in them, perhaps reduce a cup of stock or saute a small amount of butter and garlic.

p.s. the photography makes them look like they have oil inside but that's just an artifact..

Don't these look like full sized professional pots?
Photo shows 1/3 cup size and handles appear to be spot welded to cups.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

They do look a bit like pots :)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Okay I didn't look close. I'm a liar. Sue me. I like them anyway.

They do look like little stainless steel pans. I have two perfectly good sets of measuring cups and I bought them anyway--an impulse purchase. (My original mission was to buy more small Pyrex glass dishes--for mise en place food prep.)

It's too bad Star Restaurant Supply has an almost useless website. I pass by their store a couple times a week so I can just pop in and pretend I'm a restaurant owner and buy whatever I like or want. (They're open to the public too. You don't really have to own a restaurant.) I say "useless" because what they have online is just a small part of what is actually in the store. You have to go there to see everything, the online catalog is incomplete.

Do you--this is directed at everybody--have good restaurant supply stores where you are? I had moved away from L.A. and Star was on my list of things I would miss. It turned out that I missed having all the good stuff, quick and cheap, so I moved back. (Not just restaurant supplies... everything!)

Restaurant supply store stuff is often surprisingly low priced and extremely functional, built to last forever. Restaurants can't afford to keep replacing this stuff so the products are practically indestructible.

I think if I step on one of these measuring cups I'm more likely to hurt my foot than hurt the measuring cup.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Greg, I'm fortunate to live in an area that has many restaurant supply stores and ethnic markets - Indian, Hispanic and multi-Asian.

I also have that set of measuring cups (or ones that look the same).
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Those are the type of measuring cups I like, ones with a nice level top and good handles!

For small glass pinch bowls, check dollar tree, that's where I got mine. I don't know what brand they are, but they are perfect. I melt butter in them and they have stood up to the microwave. They come in handy for lots of things, portioning out snacks dipping sauces etc.. I didn't realize how many great uses there would be for them. Mine came 3 or 4 for $1

We have a decent restaurant supply store here, they carry brands that I like, like Vollrath, for dishers (cookie/ice cream sccops) and whisks. They carry Cambro for containers and they are excellent quality for my flour, and sugar and such. Their prices are awesome, you can get 1/2 sheet rimmed baking sheets for $5-6 each. I get all of my rubber spatulas there too. I am rough on whisks, and the Vollrath are the only ones that I haven't been able to break!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Those are great. So cute and nice.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the restaurant supply stores. It's easy to find all those nice things I am used to using in the big kitchens. When I need something, I go there first.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Those are great. So cute and nice.
+1
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady