Stainless steel measuring cups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
I bought the cutest set of measuring cups today, 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup, at my local restaurant monger Star Restaurant Supply (Van Nuys, CA). They have an online presence but their website sucks. Too bad..

Anyway about $12. They're built exactly like professional stainless steel pans, riveted steel handles and all. I'm sure you could do "small" cooking in them, perhaps reduce a cup of stock or saute a small amount of butter and garlic.

p.s. the photography makes them look like they have oil inside but that's just an artifact..

Don't these look like full sized professional pots? :)

Last edited:
I bought the cutest set of measuring cups today, 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup, at my local restaurant monger Star Restaurant Supply (Van Nuys, CA). They have an online presence but their website sucks. Too bad..

Anyway about $12. They're built exactly like professional stainless steel pans, riveted steel handles and all. I'm sure you could do "small" cooking in them, perhaps reduce a cup of stock or saute a small amount of butter and garlic.

p.s. the photography makes them look like they have oil inside but that's just an artifact..

Don't these look like full sized professional pots? :)
Photo shows 1/3 cup size and handles appear to be spot welded to cups.

Okay I didn't look close. I'm a liar. Sue me. I like them anyway. :)

They do look like little stainless steel pans. I have two perfectly good sets of measuring cups and I bought them anyway--an impulse purchase. (My original mission was to buy more small Pyrex glass dishes--for mise en place food prep.)

It's too bad Star Restaurant Supply has an almost useless website. I pass by their store a couple times a week so I can just pop in and pretend I'm a restaurant owner and buy whatever I like or want. (They're open to the public too. You don't really have to own a restaurant.) I say "useless" because what they have online is just a small part of what is actually in the store. You have to go there to see everything, the online catalog is incomplete.

Do you--this is directed at everybody--have good restaurant supply stores where you are? I had moved away from L.A. and Star was on my list of things I would miss. It turned out that I missed having all the good stuff, quick and cheap, so I moved back. (Not just restaurant supplies... everything!)

Restaurant supply store stuff is often surprisingly low priced and extremely functional, built to last forever. Restaurants can't afford to keep replacing this stuff so the products are practically indestructible.

I think if I step on one of these measuring cups I'm more likely to hurt my foot than hurt the measuring cup.

Last edited:
Greg, I'm fortunate to live in an area that has many restaurant supply stores and ethnic markets - Indian, Hispanic and multi-Asian.

I also have that set of measuring cups (or ones that look the same).

Those are the type of measuring cups I like, ones with a nice level top and good handles!

For small glass pinch bowls, check dollar tree, that's where I got mine. I don't know what brand they are, but they are perfect. I melt butter in them and they have stood up to the microwave. They come in handy for lots of things, portioning out snacks dipping sauces etc.. I didn't realize how many great uses there would be for them. Mine came 3 or 4 for $1

We have a decent restaurant supply store here, they carry brands that I like, like Vollrath, for dishers (cookie/ice cream sccops) and whisks. They carry Cambro for containers and they are excellent quality for my flour, and sugar and such. Their prices are awesome, you can get 1/2 sheet rimmed baking sheets for $5-6 each. I get all of my rubber spatulas there too. I am rough on whisks, and the Vollrath are the only ones that I haven't been able to break!

I love the restaurant supply stores. It's easy to find all those nice things I am used to using in the big kitchens. When I need something, I go there first.

I know what you meant Greg when you say you could almost use them for cooking. I have a two cup one and have used it many time for small amounts on top of the stove. The two cup one is great for flour and sugar when you need a large amount for bread or other foods. I also have a set of five cups. It is plastic and although I use it more, I hate that it is plastic. If I ever find a GOOD set of metal ones that I like, similar to yours that has all the odd measurements, I will sell the blood of my first born to get them.

I have stopped mentioning to anyone that I would love to have a good set of measuring cups. I always end up with plastic and only four cups to the set. I am sure the first store they headed for was the Dollar Store. I will find my own. I did receive one time a set of spoons with the odd ones. Like a pinch and a dash. I use them often. I also have a set of the ones that Giada uses on the Food Network. They were given to me as a gift. I don't use them. They sit in the cloth bag they came in. I am afraid I will break them.

I can't think of any tools in the kitchen more important that measuring cups and spoons. That is where cooking starts. Your cups look great Greg. Go back and see if they have the odd ones. You won't regret it. :angel:

My vintage tupperware ones are the some of the only ones that I've seen with the 2/3 and 3/4 cup measure, I've found others and I either didn't like the design, or they were very expensive.

I have metal cups that I really like and I really like the vintage tupperware ones too. I like having multiple sets especially when doing a lot of cooking.

My vintage tupperware ones are the some of the only ones that I've seen with the 2/3 and 3/4 cup measure, I've found others and I either didn't like the design, or they were very expensive.

I have metal cups that I really like and I really like the vintage tupperware ones too. I like having multiple sets especially when doing a lot of cooking.

I still have a set of the Dollar Store ones. When I need a one cup of something, and I have already used my reguar one, I will go to it. Even though I have checked the measurement a thousnad times, I still don't trust them. What I like about my plastic ones, is that when measuring dry ingredients, I can scrape the knife right across from the handle and over the cup. The measurement comes out flat and even. And that is whatI am looking for in a metal set. Along with the odd sizes. :angel:

Addie said:
I still have a set of the Dollar Store ones. When I need a one cup of something, and I have already used my reguar one, I will go to it. Even though I have checked the measurement a thousnad times, I still don't trust them. What I like about my plastic ones, is that when measuring dry ingredients, I can scrape the knife right across from the handle and over the cup. The measurement comes out flat and even. And that is whatI am looking for in a metal set. Along with the odd sizes. :angel:
That's exactly what I look for, the ability to scrape for a level cup without the handle getting in the way, I like it to be flat and level with the edge or lower so that I can scrape easily, my metal ones and my tupperware ones fit the bill. I too have some from the Dollar store, I keep the one cup in the bread flour container, since exact, precise measurement of flour isn't an issue with bread, I'm okay with that cup for that purpose. The 1/2 cup resides in the oatmeal can, and I use it for my morning oatmeal, I don't know where the other two dollar store ones are.

I keep my one third-one in the coffee canister. It is the perfect measurement for a full pot of coffee. It has been there so long, that is is now brown instead of blue. I suppose I should take it out and wash it. But I have the feeling that the reason it makes the perfect pot, is because of the age and color. :angel:

Addie said:
I keep my one third-one in the coffee canister. It is the perfect measurement for a full pot of coffee. It has been there so long, that is is now brown instead of blue. I suppose I should take it out and wash it. But I have the feeling that the reason it makes the perfect pot, is because of the age and color. :angel:

My one third cup measure is in the dog food bag, she gets a portion twice a day. Keeps beagle (who is smallish) slim and trim.

Last edited:
I have 3 sets of stainless steel measuring cups and use them all the time. I also have about 6 sets of measuring spoons, including ones for "pinch, dash and smidgen." In addition to all my cups and spoons, I have three 2-quart glass batter bowls and about 3 sets of mixing bowls of assorted sizes.

I've discovered, over the years, that when I'm doing a lot of cooking, especially baking large quantities, I work more efficiently if I keep my sink full of hot, soapy water and put the dirtied spoons and bowls in as I work. With multiple sets of everything I'm never without a size I need.

I also have an electronic scale that is invaluable because I can often prepare something without ever messing up a measuring cup or spoon. I almost went into withdrawal when my old scale died and I had to wait a couple of days until my new one arrived.:huh:

As for restaurant supply stores, even though I live in a very, very rural area I am fortunate to have 3 quite well-equipped ones nearby. They are dangerous places for me to go because I always find something I need.:angel:

I have the same type of stainless measuring cups, but they're sized 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1/4 cup.

For pinch pots, I have ceramic pots that look like miniature Dutch ovens, in different colours, for different types of salt and cracked pepper. I bought them at Cost Plus World Market for $3.99 each or thereabouts.

img_1197047_0_cd2c8f4799179b98f7a6a7ccb8b865d7.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom