"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #21
Master Chef
The first recipe I memorized was white sauce, or bechamel as you all call it. Others were pie crust, buttercream frosting, cornbread, biscuits, and pizza crust.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #22
Chicken fajitas and fresh guacamole.

That's...yeah, that's it. *hangs head*

Smylietron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
Assistant Cook
In the process of my learning, I memorise about 6-7 recipes each week, only to have them purged the next week :) Isn't learning fun!
Zzinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef
Most of my cooking is done without a recipe, some I learned and some I just wing. The baking, however, is always done with a recipe. I'm not scientific enough to do that freehand.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
Assistant Cook
Mostly simple stuff for me:
Pumpkin muffins
Chocolate-pumpkin brownies
guacamole, other dips
lentil stew
Lexi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #26
Executive Chef
Like others have said, it's much more important to know proper cooking techniques and flavor combinations rather than specific recipies themselves. If you know how to properly saute, roast, braise, etc. and if you know, let's say, the flavors that are complimentary when cooking with port wine, you'll be much better off then just memorizing a specific recipe. You can then walk into anybody's kitchen and make something which will taste good. If you don't understand technique and which flavors mesh together, you'll never take your cooking to another level.

Take something like ginger. Ginger works with many things: tomato, mango, papaya, citrus, soy, peanut, miso, fennel, cilantro, thai basil, shiso, sherry, scallions, and many, many more things. By knowing how to combine it with those and other ingredients, you can create many more dishes than someone who memorized the recipe for say, mango-ginger salsa.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 AM   #27
I have a couple of staples, but not many.

I can make a fawesome bolognase without help, and poached eggs with Sage butter and salad leaves. I also have a couple of chicken salad recipes, one for fantastic potato salad (With green beans -- Squee!), a chicken and soba broth, and that's about it.

Oh, and I can make Osso Bucco with minimal recipe help, and chicken rissotto as well, but that's hardly difficult... Sweat veggies, add oil, add rice, stir, add stock until done, stir in as much parmesan as you like. Huzzar. Eat. Get glomped by boyfriend for making awesome dinner.

"The Lesson here children, is that dreams inevitably lead to Hideous Implosions."
Quadlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #28
Assistant Cook
I use a cookbook or recipe five times a year at most so I've memorized most of my recipes. All of them I know the Spanish name for and not so much the English ones so bear with me :) Some of them are:

Bistec encebollada (steak panfried with onions)
Pollo guisado (stewed chicken?)
Carne guisada (stewed beef?)
Pastelitos (empanadas)
Arroz con habichuelas (rice with beans)
Pernil (roast pork shoulder)
Costillas asadas (BBQ short ribs)
Sancocho (Dominican seven meat stew)
Potato salad
Chicken noodle soup

And I know how to make basic sauces (pasta, BBQ), dips, etc.

I agree with those that said knowing basic pairings is the best way to go. I think it's more fun to know basil and tomatoes are an amazing combination and playing around with that than knowing a whole marinara recipe by heart.
Tiggzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Tiggzie
Sancocho (Dominican seven meat stew)
Miss Tiggzie, would you, could you, pretty please post a recipe for this in the "stew" thread???

Thank you!!!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
Of course! Give me a bit to either write it out or find the one I based my variation off of. :)

Tiggzie is offline   Reply With Quote