"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Chicken Fried steak
and a bunch of stuff not worth mentioning

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

I find the more I use recipes the less I need them, except baking of course. Unless it's muffins - there's not too much you can do to stuff up muffins. Ah, but the technique, that's what I use the recipes for.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #33
Head Chef

I don't think I have any recipes memorized. For day to day cooking, I just look at what I have and combine guided by my taste and experience. Usually turns out good, sometimes great. It can be frustrating for guests, though. All I can do if they want the recipe is give some vague directions... More formal meals may be based on recipes--sometimes a combination of two or three. Baking is a different story. I don't bake that often--not mush of a sweet tooth--and I slavishly follow recipes. Baking, to my mind, is more science than art.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 AM   #34
Master Chef

I don't have a lot of recipes what you would call memorized. I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of food I simply know how to cook. An acquaintance recently called me and wanted my recipe for artichoke dip. Huh? My sister gave me a recipe for it well over a decade ago, and I could not possibly come up with it now. Oh, yes, I did get it all together enough to give it to this friend. But what do you mean by memorize? Quite often I just throw food together. Mom taught me this, Japanese friends taught Mom that, my childhood friends' mothers were all French, etc. This is just how I learned to cook. I cannot do measurements, so ....whenever someone asks me for a recipe I have to back track and figure out how I did it!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Fill small bowl with cereal.
Poor milk in same until just below level of cereal.
Eat with spoon.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never gave it much thought. I've been cooking for nearly 50 years and have so many recipes/dishes in my head I don't think I could list them all. The only time I run into a problem is when someone asks for my recipe for... Then I have to really give it some thought. I've been better recently. Especially when something seems to be shaping up quite tasty. Now when I make something "up" I try to at least jot down my ingredients and the proportions. I can always fill in the method part.