Starch for a fish dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I'm planning a seared fish filet dish, with a sauce and a tuna crust(instead of crab crust). But I can't think of a starch to go with the fish, that's also good for presentation? I don't want to use rice or mashed potatoes, so I wonder what other options are there? Thanks!

Try quinoa cooked in broth, served hot with bits of veggie in it. Looks like pilaf, tastes delicious. You could also try buckwheat (kasha). Toast the groats in some bacon fat until they are a uniform dark golden brown then pour some broth over them and let them absorb it. Test one. If they are still hard or quite al dente add another cup of broth and let it sit on simmer til absorbed. Its pretty forgiving, you can add a LOT of broth this way. It has a nice nutty flavor that complements fish or fowl.

My go-to starch for fish is rice. Long grain wild rice presents very nicely. White or brown steamed rice would look pretty boring though. You could also opt for roasted mixed veggies on the side instead. Some veggie mixes include small roasted potatoes which also present nicely when the skins are left on. Another idea would be couscous or a risotto, both of which can be dressed up to be pretty colorful.

Thanks guys for the wonderful ideas!
The biggest problem I have is that the fish is gonna be a flat and thin filet, not a thick chunk like mahi mahi. I just can't find a good Presentation idea to fit the fish to the starch. The only vision I have in my head is the fish laying flat on the plate with sauce all around it, and that doesn't seem to allow starch...

Back
Top Bottom