"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Steak au Poivre

plan on making it tonight, but no cognac in the house....really dont want to buy any just for this, since i wont drink it

what i DO have is rum (cheap) and single malt scotch (15 year)....i know they arent the same, but would either of these work? i dont mind using the more expensive scotch since i really dont drink it anyway, but would use the cheaper rum if it doesnt make much of a difference

also, anyone good a TNT recipe? im not a big recipe guy, and like to make things up myself, but i wouldnt mind seeing how other people do it....i was basically going to deglaze with the booze (flambe style, cuz its fun), add cream, cook down slighlty, season with fresh pepper and salt, done

Old 09-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'd go with the scotch. Its flavor is more subtle.
Of course, I would have to do a fair bit of sampling of it before
cooking, just to make sure I had the flavor in my mind....
LOLOL

Oh... you can probably just buy the little 1 oz "airline" bottles. THose
are perfect for cooks who don't drink the stuff too.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I was actually thinking the rum might not be a horrible choice because of the sweetness.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Between the two...I would go with the Rum. I would also consider just a teeny tiny bit of Honey with it......

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Sweet, but that strong rum flavor would be a turn-off for me.
To each their own!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Steak au Poivre - back to the drawing board....

WHOA BOY, i need some serious practice with THAT recipe!! i consider myself to be a pretty good cook, relying on my instincts, and most things come out pretty good....now, the end result wasnt bad (not great either, if im being honest), but the process was a bit disastrous!

first of all, ive cooked with alcohol and ignited it before and had no issues, but this created a figgen fireball that hit the ceiling!! i like to play with fire, but this even scared me a bit - i reached for "fire control system 1" (a lid for the pan), and was even thinking about going for "fire control system 2" (fire extinguisher), but fortunately the flames died almost as quickly as they exploded....no damage done...makes me glad that i had my disaster plan in place

second, as i seared the meat, the pepper crust created a pepper gas that filled the apartment and choked both my wife and i....i couldnt stop coughing, and our eyes began to water....im not even sure what i did wrong there, since the food was not burned at all and i was supposed to create a relatively thick layer of pepper on the steak....i suppose a better hood would have helped, but still

as for the final product - the steak (strip) was well cooked, but the pepper was a bit overwhelming ....ive seen this dish prepared before, and felt that i followed the suggestions of others (like i said, its alot of pepper, but its supposed to be that way)....it certainly wasn't inedible - i still enjoyed it....it was just too much pepper
if i make that one again, i def need to do some adjusting....cant win them all, i guess....just glad to have my eyebrows still hahah.....

btw - since people were torn between the rum and scotch, i went with the cheaper rum....not sure if it made a difference because any subtle flavors were outdone by the pepper
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Cognac (brandy) is a grape based beverage. You'd be better of with a wine that any hard liquor. Otherwise, I'd consider making it without alcohol.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Cook

andy, since im familiar with cognac, i had actually considered using wine, too...but i didnt have any bottles that i thought would be appropriate

turns out that your suggestion about making a non-alcoholic versions would have been a VERY good idea hahah
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

The pepper will be the overpowering taste in this dish. Can't be avoided.

Grilling Fool's suggestion to buy the little 'airline bottles' (I grew up calling them 'nips') is a good one. I have a bunch on hand for liquors that I don't drink but would use in cooking.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
second, as i seared the meat, the pepper crust created a pepper gas that filled the apartment and choked both my wife and i....i couldnt stop coughing, and our eyes began to water....im not even sure what i did wrong there, since the food was not burned at all and i was supposed to create a relatively thick layer of pepper on the steak....i suppose a better hood would have helped, but still
I do not think you did anything wrong. I think without excellent ventilation that would be the expected result.

As for the strength of the pepper the first thing that came to my mind was to ask how coarse or fine the pepper was. I am not even sure if that would matter, but it was what I thought of. In this dish the pepper should be very course. It should just be cracked, not even really ground. I am wondering if you would get a stronger hit of pepper if it were more finely ground.

The solution would be to use less pepper next time. When I have had this dish there was a ton of pepper. The entire outer surface was completely covered. You could not see the meat through the pepper. However if you did that and it was too much then cut back. The dish will still work.