Steak Sub Poll, Classic Philly style or Original?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodfan76

Assistant Cook
So, just for fun wanted to take a poll on steak subs, do you like the classic Philly style "as its done in Philly" with the rib eye, onions and cheese wiz, or, do you like when its done more original, like lets say real cheese slices- American, provolone, Swiss, etc, and or diff toppings? No right or wrong answer :)

I like a steak bomb. That's shaved steak cooked on the flat top with onions. Genoa salami and provolone cheese are arranged in top of the cooking steak and the entire thing is inverted onto a sub roll.

I am not a cheese wiz type of eater, something with as much potential as cheese should no be "whizzed", lol..

I like my steak sandwich with no cheese, Ill take au jus over my shaved steak or maybe pepper crust the steak and some nice creamy horseradish sauce...

If I have to use cheese, I am thinking a creamy swiss spread cheese...

Last edited:
I like rib eye with onions, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and smoked provolone on the flat top, plated, no bread and pour aus jus around it, served with al dente asparagus.

I like Swiss & mushrooms, w/ sliced rib eye:

img_1406828_0_291edcf4f14152dabd7c914826de45fd.jpg

I hate cheese wiz! I don't think its even cheese is it?

We don't have real steak subs here, and when i lived down in Miami, we did not have traditional Philly type steak subs.
But I make my own and use real cheese slices, with sauteed onions and sometimes peppers.
There is a restaurant here in town that makes a Philly with grilled onions, melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Its very good but far from traditional.

Not a cheez whiz fan here either, but if I were in Philly, I would try it. It's gotta be so popular there for a reason. :)

I like steak sandwiches with thin sliced rare to med rare rib eye and onions, on a toasted French roll. Maybe just a little mayo and s and p. Mushrooms if I have them. :yum:

Here I thought we were picking between Geno's or Pat's. :LOL: We tried them both, and Pat's gets our vote. Not only was their sandwich better, the employees were more helpful and friendlier. Guess you have to be a local to be treated nicely at Geno's. ~~ Souschef, be sure to save some time to wander through the 9th Street Italian Market. So Much Fun!

When making ours at home, I quick sear chopped steak on the CI griddle, pile into a lightly toasted sub bun, add sauteed onions and mushrooms, and smother it with some sort of white cheese. The cheese is usually provolone, but we've also had mozzarella, a mild swiss, or sometimes a sharp American. It has to be a melty cheese. :yum:

Thank you all who participated. I myself am not thinking cheese wiz is the best option.. however, i never went to Philly and had a real Philly sub, so i wont knock it, im sure it must be good! :)

Somehow, I can't imagine Cheese Whiz being the thing that makes a Philly sandwich. I've seen several bits on the cheese steak sandwich on various programs on TV, and what a couple said was the key was the broth that they slather on at the last. If it doesn't run down your forearms, then it isn't a properly made sandwich. If that is the case, I'll take my au jus in a dipping bowl instead.

I never saw any of the preparers in those stories use Cheese Whiz.

Somehow, I can't imagine Cheese Whiz being the thing that makes a Philly sandwich. I've seen several bits on the cheese steak sandwich on various programs on TV, and what a couple said was the key was the broth that they slather on at the last. If it doesn't run down your forearms, then it isn't a properly made sandwich. If that is the case, I'll take my au jus in a dipping bowl instead.

I don't know what % of cheese steak shops in Philly use cheese whiz. I do know some don't. Saw a TV show about Gino's and Pat's in Philly and only one of the two uses cheese whiz. Sorry, can't remember which. I've never seen (or heard of) anyone adding broth to a Philly cheese steak.

I don't know what % of cheese steak shops in Philly use cheese whiz. I do know some don't. Saw a TV show about Gino's and Pat's in Philly and only one of the two uses cheese whiz. Sorry, can't remember which. I've never seen (or heard of) anyone adding broth to a Philly cheese steak.

Apparently there is no "official" way to make a cheese steak sammy, just what one prefers. I've never been to Philadelphia, so all I know is hearsay.

Apparently there is no "official" way to make a cheese steak sammy, just what one prefers. I've never been to Philadelphia, so all I know is hearsay.

There's always more than one way. Each vendor tries to have a difference to sell and will tell you theirs is best.

Ive never had broth in Philly.

But it is a very traditional thing on a Chicago Italian Beef sammie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qoa1R1Svnk

Last edited:
Broth is also popular on Buffalo's "Beef on Weck" sandwich, some restaurants drench the sandwich and IMO ruin it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJHFZ4qNLA

The only steak sandwich I'm really a fan of is the open faced steak sandwich served on garlic toast, topped with three fried onion rings and a side of extra crispy fries.

Ok, ok, so it's not a sub! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Buffalos beef on weck is rare roast beef on a kimmelweck roll (a roll topped with caraway seeds and kosher salt). The top of the roll is dipped in au jus and served with horseradish. It's great pub fare. I usually get my au jus on the side. Soggy rolls is not good eats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom