"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Burgers and Steaks both cooked the same??
Burgers and Steaks cooked the same 10 45.45%
Burgers cooked more than steaks 11 50.00%
Steaks cooked more thn burgers 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

Like my steaks medium rare to slightly more rare. If I grind my own burgers, the same. More to medium if I'm not doing the grinding.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Just got a grinder, will have to weigh in later. I usually like mine anywhere from medium to medium rare.
Please try equal parts sirloin, (I like the flap meat),brisket and (in the best case scenario dry aged) short ribs loosely shaped into patties and liberally salted...then salted a bit more(this is why I don't have these often) and cooked my wife's favorite way, on the grill or my favorite way in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a touch of bacon grease. Top it with an OE fried egg, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms , a slice or two of bacon, crisp pickles or potato chips(depending on whether I was having fries or fried pickles) and some avocado smashed into a little mayo and lime juice

Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim

Please try equal parts sirloin, (I like the flap meat),brisket and (in the best case scenario dry aged) short ribs loosely shaped into patties and liberally salted...then salted a bit more(this is why I don't have these often) and cooked my wife's favorite way, on the grill or my favorite way in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a touch of bacon grease. Top it with an OE fried egg, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms , a slice or two of bacon, crisp pickles or potato chips(depending on whether I was having fries or fried pickles) and some avocado smashed into a little mayo and lime juice
Thanks for the meat suggestions, your recipe sounds wonderful!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like my burgers rare and my steaks rare. If I can't have the burger rare I'll order something else. There are a few places in town where I know they grind their own and I have visited their kitchens.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like my burgers well done. Not hockey pucks, just not pink.

I like my steaks red rare, not purple.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Not a fan of burgers or streak but when i have some i like my Burgers and Steaks cooked the same. med to well. is it healthy to eat your steaks rare?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

no, just more flavourful in some people's opinion.

actually, come to think of it, yes, if you char the meat past well done. charred protein is carcinogenous.

but you'd have to eat a hundred charred horses or some such silliness, so no, and yes.

i prefer my steak somewhere between mooing and medium, depending on the cut and application, and my boigahs medium rare to medium, depending on the efficacy of the origin of said boigahs...

it also depends on the type of boigah. beef is the standardm, but i like more rare bison for the texture, as well as deer and elk. i like fatty, medium pork, and heavily spiced, well done turkey boigahs.

ok, this is getting away from andy's beef arguement.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Buongiorno Andy,

Thank you for your thread.

Firstly, I would only eat a blue rare Filet Mignon, Wagyu or Prime Rib Eye Steak in this fashion, blue rare ... I love Steak Tartar and Beef Carpacchio.

I have never eaten hamburgers nor shall I. It was never a dish, my Mom or Grandmom served in our house growing up and thus, the culture of a hamburger and fast food had never really existed. Pizza was our fast food or a re-heated lasagne or Provolone or Proscuitto di Parma on a Hero ... baguette ...

I have of course, eaten and I have prepared Italian Meatballs and Italian Meatloaf and traditional Emilia Romagna Bolognese all my life, and the ground beef mixed with ground pork should be well cooked.

Have a lovely weekend.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buongiorno Andy,

Thank you for your thread.

Firstly, I would only eat a blue rare Filet Mignon, Wagyu or Prime Rib Eye Steak in this fashion, blue rare ... I love Steak Tartar and Beef Carpacchio.

I have never eaten hamburgers nor shall I. It was never a dish, my Mom or Grandmom served in our house growing up and thus, the culture of a hamburger and fast food had never really existed. Pizza was our fast food or a re-heated lasagne or Provolone or Proscuitto di Parma on a Hero ... baguette ...

I have of course, eaten and I have prepared Italian Meatballs and Italian Meatloaf and traditional Emilia Romagna Bolognese all my life, and the ground beef mixed with ground pork should be well cooked.

Have a lovely weekend.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.
Try to think of a homemade burger as chopped steak and not the garbage that fast food places serve. I often make meatballs and grill them for sliders. As you mention, these have to be cooked well because of the pork.

For good ol beef burgers, med rare, same as my steak.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, your pedestal is seperating you from a real pleasure in life, margi: a great burger. as craigsie said, not a fast food hockey puck, but one well made.

if it helps, it's really a dish from germany aka hambug steak or frikadelle.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None