Steam Mussel Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbra2001

Assistant Cook
Hi, I looked at the chef's video on steaming mussels. Looks great but mussels are sold here by the bag .. not just the few he threw in the pan. So does that mean I have to remake the sauce each time?
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for them... and may I add not complicated or creamy ... my Hubby at a heart atack 3 years ago.. we want to stay on the healthy trail :rolleyes:

This is how I do them:
For 2 lbs mussels:
About 3 Tbsp chopped shallots, 4-5 cloves chopped garlic, 3 Tbsp butter (can use less if desired or use part butter and part extra virgin olive oil), and 3/4 cup dry white wine.
Saute shallots and garlic in butter, then add wine and simmer a few minutes. Add mussels, increase heat to medium/high, cover, and steam about 4 minutes or until opened.
Serve over linguine and top with Parmigiano Reggiano (can garnish with chopped parsley, optional) or serve with crusty bread.

Last edited:
This is how I do them:
For 2 lbs mussels:
About 3 Tbsp chopped shallots, 4-5 cloves chopped garlic, 3 Tbsp butter (can use less if desired or use part butter and part extra virgin olive oil), and 3/4 cup dry white wine.
Saute shallots and garlic in butter, then add wine and simmer a few minutes. Add mussels, increase heat to medium/high, cover, and steam about 4 minutes or until opened.
Serve over linguine and top with Parmigiano Reggiano (can garnish with chopped parsley, optional) or serve with crusty bread.
You are a star, its a classic, over here we eat it with French fries and drink blond beer:)

Steamed Mussels

Hi,
Thanks for the recipe for 2# of steamed mussels.
My question is are you putting the total 2# in and which size pan works the best?
Or, the liquid supports batches?

Thanks again,
mmm mussels :chef:

This is how I do them:
For 2 lbs mussels:

I make my mussels this way also but use Pernod instead of white wine, and add basil... I use a 12" 5 1/2 quart pot to cook them in, then just a great crusty bread to sop up the sauce...

I want mussels now... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same here, to a T, only I use dry vermouth.
And sometimes I'll add bacon :angel:

Attachments

• mussels2.JPG
    mussels2.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 229
Steamed delicious mussels

Alright then... I think I am set and now craving them big time :)))

Mussels

Thank You Josie.... Apprexiate that ;)

I was trying to add a profile pic yes but the way seems to be escaping me lol

We made these beer-steamed mussels a couple of weeks ago (didn't have any white wine in the house and was too lazy to go get some, but we had lots of beer):

Beer Steamed Mussels | Mussels in White Wine Sauce | Steamed Mussels Recipe

They were very nice. We used a bottle of home-brewed beer--not one of the dark beers, it was probably a pilsner. I would definitely make these again.

Here's a link to another recipe that uses a dark beer:

Recipe: Beer Steamed Mussels « Wisconsin Foodie

(this one has a video as well).

And yet another link:

Beer-Steamed Mussels Recipe : : Food Network

Thanks pacanis, now I don't just want mussels, I have to have them... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think I just put the mussel spell on me, too :LOL:
Seafood has been pretty high priced lately around here, but mussels are usually cheap. I think I'll pick up a bag next time I'm in town.

:LOL: I think there's going to be a run on mussels ... Actually we tried a very small order taster size at Place Pigalle hidden behind Pikes Market .. Wonderful little foodie place with high view of Ellicott Bay. They were delicious, as are the special Manilla clams available out west.. Not here East :(

Just got the nerve to steam them the other day and all the methods I was reading weren't nice and simple ... Thanks for some :rolleyes:

Mussels are quite easy to make (and fast). You just want to clean them and pick out any that are open. Shucking oysters, on the other hand, is something I don't like doing...

I've only had fresh oysters one time. I see them available now and then and really need to educate myself on preparing them. They would be a nice treat sometime. The time I had them was at a friend's suggestion and I think he put hot sauce, horseradish and lemon juice on them... it was a long time ago... eating them was more of a novelty than anything I suppose. Still, if you like seafood... And I know I like them breaded and fried.

Quick question for all on mussels...

Conventional wisdom says that, as you clean and inspect them, if any feel unusually heavy, toss it because it might be filled with mud. Likewise, some people immerse the batch in running water for an hour or so, for same reason that the mussels will expel any foreign particles if submerged in non-saline water. Furthermore, conventionally, I've read that the finished cooking juice should be strained through either cheesecloth or coffee filter, again for the same reason.

I confess I don't do any of this. My rationale is that it's not such an issue with farm-raised mussels these days. And the latter step, gets rid of all the good stuff, and ruins an important part of a steamed mussel dish. I'd appreciate any advice...

:ermm: I'm a stickler... don't like the little beards at all .. and skiddish with sea food so I follow the rules and then some. We do soak our shell sea food for a few hours and switch from buckets a few times. This sure seems to get rid of the sand .. that's a-ok with my grands that are 3 & 5 now but eathing them since 2 years ... actually gobble them :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom