Steaming Mussels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. I'm not sure there is a best way. It all depends on what you are going for.
Over plain water is just fine, but then you'll want to dip them into something, like some of that melted butter from your counter, lol. Or you can make an elaborate sauce and steam the mussels open in the sauce, in which case most people also have some bread on hand for dipping into the sauce/mussel liquor.
I don't think there's a bad way to steam them, myself. I love them done any way. As long as they open you're good to go.

My favorite is the classic Italian wine and garlic.

Saute as much garlic as you want in olive oil, then I crank the heat on high and add julienned carrots, celery, red peppers, and green onions, and a quarter cup of butter, for just a quick two minutes. Then I add about a 2/3 cups of dry white table wine. Get that boiling and add the scrubbed mussels, and a few cranks of the pepper grinder. Put a lid on the pot and keep closed for a minimum of 4-5 minutes. Check if they are opened and when they all seem so, they are done. I then add a handfull of fresh chopped parsley and a few lemon wedges and serve right out of the pot at the table. Spoon them out into bowls and make sure you go to the bottom and get the juice so you can dip your crusty bread into it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
If you can get fresh seaweed, putting a bed of that in the pot and then putting the mussels on top is amazing. Dressing with garlic and white wine, herbs has always been my favorite way to eat steamed mussels (but I like steamed mussels any way I can get them).

We like them steamed several different ways, but especially with pernod. There are copy cat recipes for Carabba's mussels.

one cup white wine.
chopped shallot and garlic
chopped Italian parsley
chopped red ripe tomato.
salt & pepper

Saute garlic and shallot.
Add mussels, tomato and wine on high heat. Also season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and serve just as soon as the mussels open.
Sprinkle fresh chopped parley over the dish.

Note: Remove mussels that open first and put them in the serving dish. Once the rest have opened, transfer them to the serving dish.

I've found you can even add bacon to a musssel dish without trying very hard :pig:

Attachments

• mussels.jpg
    mussels.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 242
....or chorizo,white wine cream & saffron...maybe red peppers & tomatoes...how's about with crevettes & samphire....or whack 'em in a paella......i like mussels:yum:!!

Attachments

• FUSILLI LUNGHI COL BUCO MUSSELS 009.JPG
    FUSILLI LUNGHI COL BUCO MUSSELS 009.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 199
  • MUSSELS CHORIZO & PEPPERS 008.JPG
    MUSSELS CHORIZO & PEPPERS 008.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 148
  • PAELLA 016.JPG
    PAELLA 016.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
So there seem to be many ways! :LOL: You'll have to try a few and decide which you think is best.

They all look wonderful, Harry!

(My tablet wants me to put Potter after your name each time I type it. Making me laugh! :ROFLMAO:)
so "you're a wizard now 'arry!!" what the 'ell,go for it gg:LOL:!!

So there seem to be many ways! :LOL: You'll have to try a few and decide which you think is best.

They all look wonderful, Harry!

(My tablet wants me to put Potter after your name each time I type it. Making me laugh! :ROFLMAO:)
thanks gg,just found out that if you click on the pic you get a bigger image...... after nearly 2 years that is.....derrrr:wacko:!!

Back
Top Bottom