Stevia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ST93

Assistant Cook
Stevia is an herb I heard of recently that makes things sweet. I am wondering if stevia could be used in a tomato sauce to make it sweet and if anybody has tried this.

ground fennel seed and basil are common "sweeteners" for tomato sauce. Fennel is the herb in sweet Italian sausage. Have not heard of stevia being used.

I brought some back from my last visit home, I've tried it in several things including a pizza crust! Give it a try and see what you think!

I have a plant in the greenhouse and my daughter loves it. Warning: a little bit goes a long way! I find it too sweet but she puts it in her coffee and teas.

silentmeow said:
I have a plant in the greenhouse and my daughter loves it. Warning: a little bit goes a long way! I find it too sweet but she puts it in her coffee and teas.

:) :)Yup,its really sweet a hundred times sweeter than sugar its a plant grown in the tropics.So yes you can use it but if you really want to add sweetener to your tomato sauce try a couple of peeled whole carrots that usually adds all the sweetener you need.After you cook sauce just fish them out and eat them they are really good.

personally i would not try to sweeten my tomato sauce i would just look for better tomatoes

in the restaurant i use only california pear tomatoes packed by stanislaus
they add not calicium chloride or citric acid

and unlike most chefs, i only bring my tomato sauce (marinara) to a boil rather than stew it for hours
and it only contains tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, fresh basil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a tiny bit of crushed red pepper flakes

i like the "fresh" taste

back to your question
if you must yes stevia would sweeten your tomato sauce
splenda would be cheaper and not leave the funny aftertaste

i only use stevia for one or two of my diabetic patrons
the rest of the diabetic or sugar sensitive are fine with splenda or my normal marinara sauce

I won't use splenda ever again after it gave me stomach cramps. Obviously some people suffer from it's side effects and others don't.

I find stevia the best alternative to sugar, but yes you don't need much.

I use to work for a large herb and spice company and was erged to try it
1 it is so sweet that I hasatate to use it in any thing
2 it has a funky after taste I find quite nasty and repulsive
so leave it out of your tomato sauce and try the carrots, splenda, if all else failes try plain cain sugar

TATTRAT said:
as said, a little dab will do ya.
:) Thanks Tatt that what I was thinking a tiny pinch of sweet.
I remember that quote a hair gel from the 70s or 80s cant remember the name of the product.What the heck was that?

Dave Hutchins said:
I use to work for a large herb and spice company and was erged to try it
1 it is so sweet that I hasatate to use it in any thing
2 it has a funky after taste I find quite nasty and repulsive
so leave it out of your tomato sauce and try the carrots, splenda, if all else failes try plain cain sugar
:) Thats the point Dave its soo sweet you can only use it in really tiny amounts

We have used dried stevia leaves as a sweetner for the herbal teas.But the comments from the patients about the taste is very bad.It has a very bad smoky taste after the diffussion.The green leaves has more of this.It is not easy to eat the fresh leaves because it is like you are chewing a tablet of artificial sweetner.
The result was very bad when we tried to make the Kheer(An Indian Sweet)with stevia as a sweetner.It was not at all palatable.
After all, it is as per your taste.But I like the herbal tea made with mint leaves,Dry ginger and sweetned with stevia leaves(One leaf for one cup)

jpmcgrew said:
TATTRAT said:
as said, a little dab will do ya.
:) Thanks Tatt that what I was thinking a tiny pinch of sweet.
I remember that quote a hair gel from the 70s or 80s cant remember the name of the product.What the heck was that?
Brylcreem... a lit'l dab'l do ya... ;)
Except I remember it from the 50's... :rolleyes:

G

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom