"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #21
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Who said anything about a dangerously hot wok?
He might have been referring to the two grease fires I had yesterday, that I mentioned in the OP.
__________________

__________________
pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
I have to agree. There's nothing like a Wolf stove in the kitchen. Even the best cook will get a flame up now and then. If it scares you, keep a lid, and a bucket full of common sense, at the ready to cover the wok should you get a flame up. Smaller batches might help to keep higher heat on an electric range.
__________________

__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Who said anything about a dangerously hot wok?
Um, if the oil in the wok catches fire, it's dangerously hot. See the OP.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistos View Post
He might have been referring to the two grease fires I had yesterday, that I mentioned in the OP.
She, thank you Yes.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
I believe the OP's issue is not dangerously high heat but technique. Many of us who use high heat have no issue with flaming oil.

As I said before. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I disagree. Chinese restaurants are not cooking a larger quantity of food than any other type of restaurant or needing to cook any quicker than any other type of restaurant, yet they go through the huge expense of getting those jet burners installed and pay the price for all the gas they burn. With margins what they are for restaurants, they are all looking to keep costs down wherever they can. If they were able to get the same results with a standard restaurant kitchen setup they would. The wok flavor that you get from a good Chinese restaurants meal is accomplished because of the high heat. I am not saying that you can't get excellent results in a home kitchen with a standard stove, but you will not get the "wok hay" flavor that is so sought after. That comes from the high heat and well seasoned wok.
I personally am not pursuing a Chinese-restaurant experience when I make stir-fry, although I know many others are. The wok itself was invented because Chinese civilization is so old, they became short of fuel and the wok is a very efficient transmitter of energy. So authentic Chinese wok cooking is not done over thousands of BTUs of gas heat.

Food Timeline: Asian Food - Wok
Quote:
Woks are inventions of necessity: in lands where fuel is scarce, foods must be cooked quickly. The semipsherical curve of the wok permits maximum cooking surface based on minimal fuel contact. This explains (in part) why foods destined for the wok are routinely chopped into small, thin slices. They cook faster that way. The wok is also the ultimate tool of kitchen convenience, as it can be used to boil, sautee, stir-fry, deep-fry and steam. As one pot cooks all, clean-up is likewise minimal. According to the food historians, woks have been around for about two thousand years.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I do not disagree with any of that GotGarlic. I was just disagreeing with the reason you said they use the high heat in Chinese restaurants. I am saying they use it for the unique flavor it gives the food, not because they are trying to cook more or faster.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe the OP's issue is not dangerously high heat but technique. Many of us who use high heat have no issue with flaming oil.

As I said before. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
I wasn't suggesting you do it my way; I was just explaining what I do. Works for me
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not disagree with any of that GotGarlic. I was just disagreeing with the reason you said they use the high heat in Chinese restaurants. I am saying they use it for the unique flavor it gives the food, not because they are trying to cook more or faster.
Well, someone here I respect said that some years ago - I don't remember who it was. My bad for repeating it, I guess.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I personally am not pursuing a Chinese-restaurant experience when I make stir-fry, although I know many others are. The wok itself was invented because Chinese civilization is so old, they became short of fuel and the wok is a very efficient transmitter of energy. So authentic Chinese wok cooking is not done over thousands of BTUs of gas heat.

Food Timeline: Asian Food - Wok
I've read similar opinions a couple of times, and this is where I get a little skeptical. A primitive wood fire can outheat a typical modern electric range, no? And a primitive forge is not much more than a well designed wood stove, and that will melt a wok. No reason you can't get super hot with a small wood fire.
__________________

__________________
pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.