"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Who said anything about a dangerously hot wok?
He might have been referring to the two grease fires I had yesterday, that I mentioned in the OP.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Sous Chef

I have to agree. There's nothing like a Wolf stove in the kitchen. Even the best cook will get a flame up now and then. If it scares you, keep a lid, and a bucket full of common sense, at the ready to cover the wok should you get a flame up. Smaller batches might help to keep higher heat on an electric range.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Who said anything about a dangerously hot wok?
Um, if the oil in the wok catches fire, it's dangerously hot. See the OP.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistos View Post
He might have been referring to the two grease fires I had yesterday, that I mentioned in the OP.
She, thank you Yes.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe the OP's issue is not dangerously high heat but technique. Many of us who use high heat have no issue with flaming oil.

As I said before. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I disagree. Chinese restaurants are not cooking a larger quantity of food than any other type of restaurant or needing to cook any quicker than any other type of restaurant, yet they go through the huge expense of getting those jet burners installed and pay the price for all the gas they burn. With margins what they are for restaurants, they are all looking to keep costs down wherever they can. If they were able to get the same results with a standard restaurant kitchen setup they would. The wok flavor that you get from a good Chinese restaurants meal is accomplished because of the high heat. I am not saying that you can't get excellent results in a home kitchen with a standard stove, but you will not get the "wok hay" flavor that is so sought after. That comes from the high heat and well seasoned wok.
I personally am not pursuing a Chinese-restaurant experience when I make stir-fry, although I know many others are. The wok itself was invented because Chinese civilization is so old, they became short of fuel and the wok is a very efficient transmitter of energy. So authentic Chinese wok cooking is not done over thousands of BTUs of gas heat.

Food Timeline: Asian Food - Wok
Quote:
Woks are inventions of necessity: in lands where fuel is scarce, foods must be cooked quickly. The semipsherical curve of the wok permits maximum cooking surface based on minimal fuel contact. This explains (in part) why foods destined for the wok are routinely chopped into small, thin slices. They cook faster that way. The wok is also the ultimate tool of kitchen convenience, as it can be used to boil, sautee, stir-fry, deep-fry and steam. As one pot cooks all, clean-up is likewise minimal. According to the food historians, woks have been around for about two thousand years.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I do not disagree with any of that GotGarlic. I was just disagreeing with the reason you said they use the high heat in Chinese restaurants. I am saying they use it for the unique flavor it gives the food, not because they are trying to cook more or faster.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I believe the OP's issue is not dangerously high heat but technique. Many of us who use high heat have no issue with flaming oil.

As I said before. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
I wasn't suggesting you do it my way; I was just explaining what I do. Works for me
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not disagree with any of that GotGarlic. I was just disagreeing with the reason you said they use the high heat in Chinese restaurants. I am saying they use it for the unique flavor it gives the food, not because they are trying to cook more or faster.
Well, someone here I respect said that some years ago - I don't remember who it was. My bad for repeating it, I guess.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I personally am not pursuing a Chinese-restaurant experience when I make stir-fry, although I know many others are. The wok itself was invented because Chinese civilization is so old, they became short of fuel and the wok is a very efficient transmitter of energy. So authentic Chinese wok cooking is not done over thousands of BTUs of gas heat.

Food Timeline: Asian Food - Wok
I've read similar opinions a couple of times, and this is where I get a little skeptical. A primitive wood fire can outheat a typical modern electric range, no? And a primitive forge is not much more than a well designed wood stove, and that will melt a wok. No reason you can't get super hot with a small wood fire.

Tags
oil