Stir Fry - oil catches fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my wok. It's only a few weeks old but this should be seasoned enough to prevent burning, right?

Attachments

• 1392774010832.jpg
    1392774010832.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Sorry, I meant I burned the beef on the bottom of the wok. It stuck on :-(

>>seasoned enough
looking at the pix, I'd venture to say no. especially given the various rings & bands. typically "well seasoned" cast iron and carbon steel is near black and relatively even in color.

the earlier experiments may have been detrimental to the seasoning. i.e. - one way to "clean & deseason" a pan for a "fresh start" is to heat it way past normal temperatures. a trip thru the self-cleaning oven cycle, buried in hot coals, many methods used. basically anything organic is "burned away" by the high temperatures.

that the oil(s) ignited so quickly in your experiments is a good indication that the wok was seriously too hot. and fwiw, a "super burner" is not required to over heat an empty pan.

curiously, electrics - often mentioned as inadequate for wok cooking - may be more prone to the problem - see:
http://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/1903/11333/2/Buda_Ortins_ResearchPaper.pdf

as to the 'sticking' - two thoughts

first - meats/proteins do want to 'stick' when the hit a hot pan / grill. you may have seen recommendations like "wait until the burger/chop/steak/etc releases from the pan before flipping" - even on a well seasoned cast iron pan, meat will 'stick' for a short while.

second - there's a reason it's called 'stir fry' - anything that goes in the hot wok is immediately stirred / tossed before it has even seconds to 'stick'

although there are thousands of concepts ideas methods on 'how to season a pan' - I use the really dumb and simple approach - I just cook fatty stuff in it until it is 'nicely seasoned' - takes longer, things wantonly stick in the initial thru intermediate stages, but there's not a lot of user question as to when 'it's nicely seasoned' - at some point, more or less 'suddenly' - 'things sticking' is no longer an issue....

This is my wok. It's only a few weeks old but this should be seasoned enough to prevent burning, right?
attachment.php
*sigh* She's a beauty, but she's not there yet pistos. It's going to take time and lots of cooking to get that fine patina sported by a properly loved wok. It took a number of years for me to get that Chinese restaurant look to mine. In the meantime be sure to clean the stuck food off without removing the seasoning. I found it best to put that screaming hot pan in the sink and fill the bottom inch or two with the hottest tap water you can draw. I would run the tap to bring the hot water up through the pipes to make sure it was ready when it would hit the wok. After it cools off a bit (usually by the time you've scarfed all your food) use something like a Scotch-Brite heavy duty pad to scrub the softened crust off. Be sure you don't rub so hard as to remove any seasoning though.

Pistos-----I use salt and a paper towel to scrub my wok----- but I don't know how effective that might be to your poor wok. But I don't think it's time to bury her yet. Those woks are tough!

Here ya go. Looks like all three are on the low setting.......LOL

Attachments

• commercial wok burner.jpg
    commercial wok burner.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 231
Back
Top Bottom