"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #101
Master Chef

For the slaughter to be consider kosher animal has to be killed with absolutely perfectly sharp knife, without any nicks, the animal’s trachea and esophagus has to be cut in a single motion, cut. So the animal would die instantaneously. As you can imagine it would be really hard to do with an arrow. Besides hunting is prohibited in Jewish law as it may cause unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #102
Master Chef

Only animal with the split hoof is kosher. Deer do have split hoof.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #103
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Only animal with the split hoof is kosher. Deer do have split hoof.
I stand corrected.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

FWIW, chicken scratch (which contains corn) has gone up $2 (I think the bags are 100 lb bags) since the end of June. It had been the same price since I got the hens a year ago June.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

The canola harvest is predicted to be very good this year on the Canadian prairies. Another side effect of the drought in the US:

Drought Causes Shortage in Wis. Cow Chip Throw - ABC News

Who would have thought?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The canola harvest is predicted to be very good this year on the Canadian prairies. Another side effect of the drought in the US:

Who would have thought?
When dried, they also make good fuel for burning for heat and cooking. We also have watermelon seed spitting contests, and a few other ones.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322

Who would have thought?
Got a good laugh from this! Who knew?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Got a good laugh from this! Who knew?
So did I (get a good laugh). I wonder which lucky volunteer gets to store the reserve barrels of cow patties.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #109
Executive Chef

Funny how we could develop a discussion about cow chips (AKA cow flops) in a forum about cooking and eating...

When I was a kid my parents took me camping in the High Sierras (eastern California mountains) and we used to catch the late afternoon early evening trout fishing on inlets to Crowley Lake. (Big trout like these inlets because their food comes floating down the stream.)

The land around the lake is also used for cattle ranching and there is a plentiful supply of cow flops. I liked trout fishing but maybe not such an enthusiast as my dad (I was a tweener, easily distracted like all tweeners) so it would get cold sometimes, and while waiting for my dad I used to make cow flop fires to stay warm.

I had heard this technique from a local resident and the advice proved out. The most important thing is to get only mature cow flops. You would think they would smell but that's not the case at all, provided you find very dry ones. (There were a lot to choose from there.) They made a very nice fire without a hint as to the source of the fuel (although they didn't have the nice aroma of mesquite or pine). We were surrounded by wetlands so there was never any chance of the fire spreading.

Anyway cow flop fires are great to keep you warm on a cold evening, and very plentiful in cattle lands.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Funny how we could develop a discussion about cow chips (AKA cow flops) in a forum about cooking and eating...

When I was a kid my parents took me camping in the High Sierras (eastern California mountains) and we used to catch the late afternoon early evening trout fishing on inlets to Crowley Lake. (Big trout like these inlets because their food comes floating down the stream.)

The land around the lake is also used for cattle ranching and there is a plentiful supply of cow flops. I liked trout fishing but maybe not such an enthusiast as my dad (I was a tweener, easily distracted like all tweeners) so it would get cold sometimes, and while waiting for my dad I used to make cow flop fires to stay warm.

I had heard this technique from a local resident and the advice proved out. The most important thing is to get only mature cow flops. You would think they would smell but that's not the case at all, provided you find very dry ones. (There were a lot to choose from there.) They made a very nice fire without a hint as to the source of the fuel (although they didn't have the nice aroma of mesquite or pine). We were surrounded by wetlands so there was never any chance of the fire spreading.

Anyway cow flop fires are great to keep you warm on a cold evening, and very plentiful in cattle lands.
Another reason to get a dairy cow--a source of fuel for the wood stove...

Tags
food