"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

We just came back from Michigan and the corn and soybean crops in the Midwest are indeed devastated. Even if they got a lot of rain now, it's too late for pollination and growth, so they're gone. Also, northern Michigan is where a lot of cherries and apples in this country are grown. Those crops were killed in the spring; in March, unusually warm weather caused the trees to bloom and then the blossoms were killed by frost in April. So prices for cherry pie fillings, etc., will go up.

As someone said, meat prices will go down temporarily while farmers slaughter livestock for lack of food for them, but anything that includes corn products will be going up.

We don't have the space to stockpile much, either.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
Master Chef

I heard on the radio that meteorologists say we are entering a weather cycle similar to the one in the 30's and the dust bowl era. Expect the drought to last for a while. I don't necessarily stockpile on purpose but tend to buy if it's on sale and has a good shelf life. Most of the time I'm heading to the store for milk and bread and fresh veggies.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I heard meat like beef, pork, and chicken are going to rise because the price of feed is going to become more expensive this fall. A twenty percent rise in price can add up to a lot of extra expense over the long winter...
Rock--in Renfrew County, the 2nd cutting of hay was hard hit. Whereas those round bales of hay were usually $30, they are now selling for 60-80. Corn has gone up 50% since about June 20th. We feed our chickens a mix of free-range and corn. Our eggs are now going to cost more. Corn is in so many products, that yes, they will go up most likely. Beef is supposed to go down briefly because farmers are getting rid of livestock--not worth feeding them. Dairy products will definitely go up--I've started stockpiling cheese. Because of the drought in the wheat-belt, we have already been paying higher prices for pasta, flour, etc. I stockpile pasta when it is on sale, flour, rice, etc. Maybe you can get a decent deal on 1/2 a steer or 1/2 pig (if you have room to store it). I saw $3.20/lb cut and wrapped for beef yesterday...tempting.

We picked up an old, non-working freezer (free to good home) to store the 10-12 bags of chicken feed we are buying tomorrow. Luckily, we have space <g>. Hopefully, that will get the flock through the winter, plus the corn we planted for them (it is looking a lot better than the fields around us--but, we shall see).
Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always been one to maintain a fully-stocked pantry and freezer. We have one large upright freezer and the top freezers on both refrigerators. Our inside pantry is quite well stocked with a variety of canned and dry goods. The storage room has all the shelves with all the canned goods from our garden(s), along with extra paper goods. We use very little in the way of tissues and paper towels, no paper napkins as we solely use cloth napkins. The only other paper goods would be TP, which we buy in case lots at Sam's and one case lasts the two of us easily a couple of months.

As far as food prices going up...you bet. We live in a farming community, both crops and livestock. The drought has ruined many farmers and some have even seen their wells dry up, which is not good as they depend on the wells to fill the ponds that are used for irrigation. No wells, no ponds, no irrigation, no crops. Pretty simple.

Very few of the soy bean farmers will see any return on their hard work. What rain does come..if there is any...is too late for the soy beans. Even if they did rally, they still have to produce beans and that's not likely to happen. The corn won't fare much better, but there will be some. A great deal of the corn has just burned up in the fields. The wheat was pathetic this year and as far as hay goes, kiss it off, too. Many of our region's farmers are already filing their crop insurance claims and some are even selling their tractors, etc. Farming is not a cheap job.

This leads to livestock. They are suffering from lack of water and adequate feed, so you can see where our food prices will go.

Not only will our vegetable and meat prices rise, but anything that has wheat as an ingredient will be affected, so you might consider stockpiling flour, etc.

It's not pretty and I think we're all in for a bit of belt tightening and teeth grinding. I'm not looking forward to it, but I know we'll manage. Buck always said he never saw anyone who could make a penny squeal. Well, I'm about to make one scream bloody murder.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

We have 2 wells at the farm--we pumped one dry yesterday...hopefully it will recover. We were trying to get enough moisture on the corn and gardens to save what we could re: crops. We can still run the house well dry...probably not a good idea.

I wash dishes in a tub and dump the grey water on the plants out there. We also have a bucket in the shower. And, when we refresh the dogs' water dishes, that no longer gets dumped, it gets put on the plants. When I boil water (as I'm doing today to freeze beans), when I change it, it doesn't go down the sink, it goes in a 22 gal. bucket to cool and be put on the tomato plants.

I'm so glad I didn't get sheep or a dairy goat this summer...I'd have to be buying them feed. The pennies have been screaming bloody murder around here for awhile...
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

On a side note, re: the drought. Our Administrator was going on about Community Responsibility and what we, as employees, were doing to promote our Community Responsibility. I pinned her down about this and asked what the facility was doing...our (the facility) sprinklers run every day for lush green lawns, during the hottest part of the day. I suggested they only run at night and run every other day instead of daily since most of the country is suffering through drought. I know this won't help those in the midwest and the south, but it may just help those neighbors of ours who rely on water for their livelihood. While the facility needs water, we don't really need it for the lawns.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
On a side note, re: the drought. Our Administrator was going on about Community Responsibility and what we, as employees, were doing to promote our Community Responsibility. I pinned her down about this and asked what the facility was doing...our (the facility) sprinklers run every day for lush green lawns, during the hottest part of the day. I suggested they only run at night and run every other day instead of daily since most of the country is suffering through drought. I know this won't help those in the midwest and the south, but it may just help those neighbors of ours who rely on water for their livelihood. While the facility needs water, we don't really need it for the lawns.
Lawn? Ours look like cornflakes. Saves on the cost of mowing. I have 2 22 gal buckets of water on the side step for (1) the little tomato-swiss chard-lettuce-herb patch I keep at the house in the City, and (2) for my perennials. I spent a small fortune on those. I am about to install a bucket in the shower to catch that run-off as well. I can live without the green lawn, but when my food dries up...well, let's just say, I'm not happy. I would've been able to harvest black raspberries--but, they dried up. I got some, but not nearly as many as I might have been able to harvest. And, for those who don't know, no, they are not blackberries, they are black raspberries and are SOOOO sweet. The blueberries and June berries dried up as well, don't know if the apricot trees will survive.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I wish that any water-saving things I do at home would be of help to my friends here at DC. As it is, I'm doing what I can to lower my water consumption, my shower and dish water is flushing the toilet. And we are not hurting here in our valley like many folks are.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #29
Master Chef

I stockpile as much as possible with no freezer and limited cabinet space. I do it mostly for the reason others mention, I like to be able to decide what to eat for dinner without having to go out to the grocery store every time I need something. I also buy nonperishables when I find a good sale, but, really, I live in a town with 2 grocery stores. The sales aren't usually a lot to write home about.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am happy to report that here in Massachusetts, when we are in drought conditions, the first edict to come our way is "No lawn watering." And "No car washing."

A couple of years ago Lake Lanier in Georgia went down considerably. My girlfriend has a cottage and in normal conditions the water comes right up to her dock and is quite deep. During the last major drought they had to walk five minutes to get to the water. The lake still hasn't recovered fully. And now it is starting to recede again.

Tags
food