"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Actually I can't imagine anybody storing food using any system other than FIFO.

I use the same date marking system in my pantry too, and in fact on practically everything food related unless it's something like coffee filters which of course don't matter.

Using some sort of date marking is particularly important for spices, and for bottled items like sauces that you keep in your refrigerator. I've sometimes found items at the back of my fridge that were 3-5 years old! Needless to say I threw them out.
I think I will start marking the pantry and bottled items. It's a good idea. I mark leftovers and freezer items. I either mark the date as 2012-07-23 or just 2012-07, depending on my mood and what it is.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
Executive Chef

That's a good idea about marking what it is! I began doing that too after sometimes finding "freezer mysteries" where I had to defrost them to find out what they were.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think I will start marking the pantry and bottled items. It's a good idea. I mark leftovers and freezer items. I either mark the date as 2012-07-23 or just 2012-07, depending on my mood and what it is.
I implemented that system with my parents pantry and freezer a few years ago. Anything that is marked the previous year/July - August, I either use up or get rid of. My parents are hoarders.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Yup. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons), and we do try to keep a stockpile of food essentials around in case of things like drought, blizzards, hurricanes, and other disasters, natural, or man-made. It just makes sense. Originally, we were advised to keep a two year supply of food, water, and fuel. As that is very difficult for many, the amount has been reduced.

Foods to keep are things like rice, wheat, dried legumes, honey, sugar, freeze-dried, or dehydrated foods, seasonings, etc. We are also advised to plant and keep gardens, and can the foods we grow, if possible.

Way too many things can disrupt the food supply. It just makes sense. I have some foods, but not what I should have. My garden is doing very well right now, and so I am starting to purchase canning supplies, and enjoying the fruits of my early labor.

The idea of stockpiling is to give yourself a nutritious cache of food for emergencies that is worth eating. It doesn't need to be gourmet, but has to be good enough to eat for a good period of time.

I personally know of several people, including me and my family, who have lived off of food storage when between jobs (such as when i was out fresh out of the Navy, living in Spokane, with no jobs available during the recession of 82/83). You never know when the unexpected can rise up and hit you. It's a good idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Work opportunities have been very sporadic since fall 2007. If it weren't for the gardens (and the hens), I would have been using the food bank. I eat well, but I don't spend a lot at the grocery store each week. I don't shop to make a recipe, I cook based on what I have on hand. I replenish the fresh stuff--milk, butter, etc., as needed and always stockpile butter when it is on special.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have a magnetic "white" board on the door of the upright freezer where I list what is in the freezer and wipe off the items as I use them. That helps, plus I don't have to open the freezer door and let cool escape while I search for one food or another.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I have a magnetic "white" board on the door of the upright freezer where I list what is in the freezer and wipe off the items as I use them. That helps, plus I don't have to open the freezer door and let cool escape while I search for one food or another.
I just use a white board marker on the freezer itself...works for me except when I don't label what goes in (or I get stuff from friends who move!).
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Katie, that is a great idea. I am going to get a magnetic white board and try this! Thank you!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Katie, that is a great idea. I am going to get a magnetic white board and try this! Thank you!
You don't need a white board--a white board marker works fine on the freezer and you can wipe it off as you go.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #49
Executive Chef

I keep my frozen items in categories, separated into different milk crates. I have one for beef, chicken, pork, fish and miscellaneous items. Its easy to pull them out and root around and see what's in there. I can empty my freezer in about 15 seconds.. then put everything back just as quick and easy.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
I keep my frozen items in categories, separated into different milk crates. I have one for beef, chicken, pork, fish and miscellaneous items. Its easy to pull them out and root around and see what's in there. I can empty my freezer in about 15 seconds.. then put everything back just as quick and easy.
My mom does the same thing :)

Tags
food