"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The 2x/day milking requirement is the stumbling block. We have pasture at the farm, but no one lives at the farm. The chickens are enough of a commitment because we don't have a lock-down area attached to the coop. They are locked up at night, but allowed out during the day in the fenced backyard. Even with the fence, the little buggers still sometimes get on the other side of the fence and one has to go chicken hunting...
The initial money investment for equipment can also be another stumbling block. Vet bills, regular TB testing, milking machine, separators, cooling equipment, etc. Need I go on? Dairy is a major commitment. You have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to make that much of an investment for just one cow?"

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #72
Cook

Freezer stocking

Something to consider. If the power goes for more that a day, everything in a freezer may not survive.

Climate change will cause storms that may knock out power more often.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cooker View Post
Something to consider. If the power goes for more that a day, everything in a freezer may not survive.
After Isabel, we try not to keep too much in the freezer section of the refrigerator for that very reason during hurricane season. In the big old chest freezer, I learned from Isabel, that even after a loss of power for 8 days, nearly everything in there was still frozen. 'Course, we never opened the lid on that freezer till the lights came back on.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cooker View Post

Climate change will cause storms that may knock out power more often.
If you have a generator, you don't have to worry about that. We lost power for 12 days in 1998 during an Ice Storm. The stuff in the freezer survived thanks to the generator.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Another crop that has been hard hit is the soy crop. This means products containing soy (e.g., vegetable oil) will most likely go up as well. And, soybeans are a huge source of protein in animal feeds.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Another crop that has been hard hit is the soy crop. This means products containing soy (e.g., vegetable oil) will most likely go up as well. And, soybeans are a huge source of protein in animal feeds.
Time to buy the big bottle of soy sauce at SAMs! Thanks for the warning.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Because we grow so much of the food we eat the rest of the year, watching the weather and crop futures are somewhat of hobbies here. I haven't heard "boo" about wheat, but the crop was poor last year, and that has contributed to the increased prices for flour and pasta. And, the Canadian Wheat Marketing Board has been declared a monopoly. Canadian wheat growers can now sell wheat to US markets. That may prove interesting re: pasta and flour prices. Flour prices in the US are typically higher than here in Canada.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #78
Executive Chef

From all the information I've seen and irrespective of the cause (man made? natural?) it appears that we may be facing increased temperatures, more unstable weather and altered climates (for example, one place gets drier, another place gets more rain). It seems to me that in the long run none of us will be able to avoid higher prices, and scarcity may become increasingly common. Probably best we can do is make the best use of our money and storing food and save a little bit in the long run.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Certainly, it may mean changing one's eating (and cooking) habits. Ironically, things that do NOT like hot weather, e.g., bok choy, are doing amazingly well this year in our garden. The lack of rain has delayed the tomato production here (the two that were yellow yesterday are orange today--but two almost ripe tomatoes on almost 300 plants is not very promising--I so want to start harvesting tomatoes!), but our sweet corn is doing fine. Mind you, we have been watering every other day or so since the beginning of July.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Glad I like rice & beans.

Tags
food