"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Stockpiling Food?

I am seriously considering stockpiling some food items for the coming winter. With the drought in Eastern Canada and some of the US, you can bet the food prices will rise. I am thinking flour, cornmeal, beef, chicken for sure. Maybe canola oil. Anything else be affected by the drought?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have a different way of addressing this. I like to maintain a rather large pantry stocked with goods I often use, particularly those in packages, jars and cans, items that have a significant shelf life (as opposed to fresh vegetables or meats).

My method is targeted at (1) having a nice supply of stock goods that I use often so that I don't have to keep running back to the market, so I save shopping time by buying multiples when I stock up, and (2) I always stock up on items I frequently use when they are on sale. By combining these concepts I save money by buying more often when on sale, I save convenience by often having the item in stock, and I save time because it's hardly more effort to buy a dozen cans or packages instead of buying just one.

I hope to buy a deep freeze one day soon and apply this concept to meat, poultry, fish and other frozen goods. I particularly recall when turkeys used to be on sale for the holidays (not the last few years) where I'd buy 1-2 extra and have delicious, inexpensive turkey a few times several months later. (I'm not so sure we'll ever again see holiday turkey sales. I haven't seen them on sale for a couple years.)

Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I am seriously considering stockpiling some food items for the coming winter. With the drought in Eastern Canada and some of the US, you can bet the food prices will rise. I am thinking flour, cornmeal, beef, chicken for sure. Maybe canola oil. Anything else be affected by the drought?
Heard that on the News. They were walking through a cornfield at the time, but didn't get into specifics.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Executive Chef

It would be interesting if anybody can name any food product that is not expected to cost more in the future, or fuel prices, noting that even when food prices stay constant they always have to be transported to stores, by a combination of trains and trucking, and those prices are (IMO) expected to rise forever.

I can't imagine any food costing less or same tomorrow than today.

Remember Wimpy from the Popeye cartoons, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." That was in the 1930's yet nothing seems to have changed since then. (Although perhaps Wimpy was motivated more by hoping for forgetfulness than contemplating inflation.)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I am concerned by a sharp jump in a short amount of time. A couple of hundred dollars of shopping now, may cost two fifty by christmas.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I shudder to think of $200 in July costing $250 by late December, an increase of 50% per year. At that rate I'll have to give up eating in another few years.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Head Chef

I keep a fairly good stocked pantry, buy things on sale, can/dehydrate/freeze anything extra from the garden.
Before peanut butter went up, we bought it for $1.25/lb and you can't buy peanuts for that. Sadly, it has added sugar, fats, etc, but we'll still use it.
Last week I blanched and froze pea pods and beans. It sure keeps me working on staying stocked.
Today we picked up 10 lbs of sugar and 20 lbs of flour, that should get me through to Christmas (along with all the other flours--whole wheat, rye, etc).
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I like stockpiling food even if for no other reason than convenience. For example, if you use chicken stock and you see it on sale, why not buy a dozen cans? Then the next dozen times you need it you won't have to put it on your shopping list, or take another 1-2 minutes to add it to your shopping cart.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I heard meat like beef, pork, and chicken are going to rise because the price of feed is going to become more expensive this fall. A twenty percent rise in price can add up to a lot of extra expense over the long winter...
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Absolutely, I stockpile whenever I can, for many of the reasons listed above. Also, my town only has two grocery stores - the nearest other supermarkets are about a hundred miles away. Whenever I go to my daughter's in the city, we hit Costco's and Trader Joe's.

I LOVE my foodsaver and use it a lot. The bags are spendy, but I figure it still saves $$ in the long run, especially since it's just me here.

Tags
food