Stop Doing This at Restaurants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guilty of two.

We do stack our plates ( sometimes at the end of the dinner if we are waiting), But like mentioned in the article, its always neatly done, biggest to smallest, no food or utensils disrupting the balance. Usually all the silverware on a separate plate, neatly placed. I even wipe the crumbs up sometimes. I don't like a mess.

Second, I like to review my check first before I pay. So its not that my payment method isn't ready and available, but I think I have the right to double check and make sure everything was entered in correctly.

Actually, I think I'm completely innocent on all counts. Stacking glasses? Who would ever do that at home? One gripe I have is I want my dinner plate cleared quickly after I'm done eating. I hate sitting for a long period of time, looking at a dirty dinner plate.
Glad you brought that up Larry.....yep, I want to review the bill also, after my plate has been cleared.;)

Last edited:
My biggest issue from the list is when diners help clear the table. I find it very annoying. I'm paying restaurant prices so I don't have to do that stuff. No prepping, no cooking, no cleanup.

If you give the server your credit card when he brings the bill, you still have plenty of time to review the bill before you sign on the dotted line.

Okay, maybe this is just me.

While most of these seem completely justified and common sense, others sound like nitpicky server complaints. The one thing on that list that rubs me the wrong way is the if-you're-finished-with-your-meal-GET-OUT point.

I'm sorry, but I go out to dinner, not only to eat, but also to socialize with friends. It should be relaxing and enjoyable, and I really dislike feeling like I'm being pushed out the door when dinner is done. Now granted, if a place is super busy and I see a sea of people waiting for a table, I'll try to vacate and suggest we go somewhere else for an after dinner activity (drinks, dessert, conversation).

From the other side of the fence, one policy that annoys me is an overly busy, trendy restaurant that doesn't take reservations. The way I see it, I want to patronize your restaurant and spend money there. But if you don't take reservations, it means I'm simply rolling the dice when I show up. There's nothing more aggravating to me than being hungry and standing for an hour waiting for a table to become available. In those situations, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be in a bad mood before I even look at the menu.

I've always liked the European approach to dining: if you make a reservation and show up, the expectation is that the table is yours for the evening. The food generally costs a little more, but it makes for a much more relaxing night out.

One novel approach I recently ran across is a local restaurant that offers two-seatings a night. Similar to what movie theaters do. You make a reservation for 6:00pm and the table is completely yours until 8:00. Then there is an 8:00-10:00 pm seating. What I like is that it completely sets up expectations for all parties. I really liked it myself.

Last edited:
Wow, we are now listening to servers "petty vents". I know what good service is and in most cases, where food is delayed, have no issue with the server. they know by the 20%+ tip left. But there are times when the fault lies with the server. I've watched servers leave food under heat lamps until they feel like bringing it to the table. I hate when we are a party of two and the waiter/waitress blow us off for the large party in their section, for a greater possibility of a larger tip.:mad: So, we are supposed to be "trained", by servers to be good customers? Sorry you have that backwards.:rolleyes:

If you give the server your credit card when he brings the bill, you still have plenty of time to review the bill before you sign on the dotted line.

True, but I prefer to review the check first, before handing over cash or card. I understand they have other tables to tend to, and from this article, I can see that they're prefer not to keep walking by or glancing over to see if I have left the card there. Honestly, Although annoying to them, thats kinda part of the job. I can't see how one way or another would really make that much of a difference. I mean thats part of their job, to wait tables. They're doing walk by's to check if the water glass is filled. They come over at least once or twice to ask if everything is ok. Honestly, they should always have an eye on all their tables, since thats the only real way of communicating.

You want a quick answer to how is the food?

Do not ask me the split second after I have taken a large bite.

Most of the list is common sense. I guess because common sense is in short supply we need to be told these things? :ermm: :LOL:

The only item we do regularly is stack dirty plates, However, having had two children who worked as servers, we were "trained" to stack properly. Which, actually, is the way my Mom trained me when I would clear our dinner table.

One time we were out with the kids, it was a smaller table, and there were four of us. When we finished with the apps, I stacked the plates neatly and set them off to the side of the table. Loverly said "you pre-bus?" I looked at her, pointed to the plates, and said "that? Is it OK?" Both kids, in unison, said "yeah, we like when people pre-bus, as long as it's done right".

Now, every time I listen to the news or PBS/NPR and they mention the name of the Incumbent's Chief of Staff, I visualize a stack of dirty plates. Take that as you may...

Don't linger rubs me the wrong way.

I rarely go out to dinner so when I do I like to socialize and relax.

I'm definitely a lingerer, I'm also a darn good tipper unless I'm aggravated by a pushy server. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We have an old comfortable restaurant in town that is always busy. When the owner surveys the dining room and sees a few chatty lingerers he starts working the room and asks the people at the tables to join him in the bar for a complimentary drink. I think that is a tactful way to turn a table at a nominal cost to the restaurant.

Don't linger rubs me the wrong way.

I rarely go out to dinner so when I do I like to socialize and relax.

I'm definitely a lingerer, I'm also a darn good tipper unless I'm aggravated by a pushy server. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We have an old comfortable restaurant in town that is always busy. When the owner surveys the dining room and sees a few chatty lingerers he starts working the room and asks the people at the tables to join him in the bar for a complimentary drink. I think that is a tactful way to turn a table at a nominal cost to the restaurant.

How about a disappearing/non-attentive server. You know the ones you have to flag down because they rarely come to the table to check how things are going or never after service until they bring the check. There are those that you have to flag down even to get the check.:ohmy:

I can't find the link to the video posted but since I've been a waitress and restaurant manager I can honestly say that the customer is not always right but neither is the server. Clearing your table is ok in my book. If they can't keep up why not? I hate sitting with a table full of empty plates. As long as customers don't verbally abuse staff and give a decent tip they should get what they want and pay for.

I agree with Steve on the get out. I tip well, but especially when I travel I to relax. Also to the waiters - if I order a salad or soup, I need at least 2 minutes to eat it, don't bring my meal before eat my appy. To customers - if you have to blow your nose - for goodness sakes go to the bathroom.

My biggest issue from the list is when diners help clear the table. I find it very annoying. I'm paying restaurant prices so I don't have to do that stuff. No prepping, no cooking, no cleanup.

Not always. In quite a few restaurants I frequent the itemized bill comes first and the credit card bill is not itemized. I want to review the bill before the final bill is presented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom