Stopping an excessive smoking from a pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERTON

Assistant Cook
i use a cast iron skillet to cook hasbrown, vegetables, and eggs. when i cook the hashbrowns and veggies smoke just fills the whole apartment.

how do i stop this?

That's an easy one. You have the heat turned up way too high. Because cast iron holds the heat better than any other metal, turn your heat down to med/low at best. Anything higher and you'll either burn your food or you'll create smoke. Maybe both. If you pan is smoking check the heat level. I cook all my meals on cast iron and never have this problem.

As suggested, it doesn't have anything to do with the pan. You are cooking at too high a heat so that the grease is burning and smoking.

smokey pan reply

Hello Merton
When your pan starts smoking u could remove it from the heat for around 30 seconds, and then resume.
Mel

Use peanut oil-----it can cook at higher temperatures---don't know if you can regulate your stove top or not-----if you had the gas burners I had in Egypt you had to invest in a heat diffuser which you can get here in the states. It's a round flat metal plate with lots of holes in it attached to a handle. You just place it over your gas burner and then put the pot on top. The holes help to distribute the heat so that it's not as hot otherwise. A lifesaver, believe me.

Oh, I forgot to add that if it is difficult for you or anyone else to regulate your flame, I have found these heat diffusers at dollar and discount stores-----they're used in a lot of 3rd world countries which is where most of the good stuff in dollar stores come from. Good luck-----if you decide to throw out your cast iron skillet, however, let me know. Ha!!

Back
Top Bottom