"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! I got it TODAY!!!

I'm totally fascinated by the idea that this is high end gourmet professional cooking being introduced into the cooking enthusiast amateur chef regime which is what I consider myself, an "amateur chef." The price of admission is just a bit over $400 so it's not really super expensive. (PPT, what did you pay and where did you get it?)

I ordered the SousVide Supreme Promo Pack direct from the manufacture for $499.

I am still waiting.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Executive Chef

PPT, don't you have Bed, Bath & Beyond? Anyway it's worth $500 too! I'm looking forward to your posting your initial experiences, and hope you like it as much as I do. I've told several friends and relatives all about my new Sous Vide and invited them over (not all at once) to enjoy my new cooking method.

Anybody else who contemplates this, please visit the BBB website and join the mailing list and they'll email you a link to a 20% off coupon, and send you another each month. BBB list price (same as manufacturer) is $499.99, but with the 20% off coupon it's $399.99, plus sales tax. Free shipping from on-line. Or ship it to your local store like I did, so I wouldn't need to be home to receive it.

I have the photos of my SV steak and was showing it to a friend today. I'll post one or more pics soon.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
PPT, don't you have Bed, Bath & Beyond? Anyway it's worth $500 too! I'm looking forward to your posting your initial experiences, and hope you like it as much as I do. I've told several friends and relatives all about my new Sous Vide and invited them over (not all at once) to enjoy my new cooking method.
There is one close to my house and one close to my current hotel. If I had known about the 20% and faster shipping I would have ordered mine the same way. But I did want to order using PayPal to use my funds from youtube.

I do have some things I want to try and will post results.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Head Chef

Mine came today!

I plan to give it a try on Sunday
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Great!!! I was too busy today to plan any dinner so I grabbed another Trader Joe's rib eye and threw it into the water oven about half hour ago. Tonight I don't know when I want for dinner but the video says any time 1-4 hours after start. That means I can serve dinner any time past 7 pm local (until 10 pm). I hope I'll find my propane torch before then...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Head Chef

I will do some chicken breast tomorrow night. Not sure if I will go buy a torch or not.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

PPT I used a home improvement type propane torch last night, the kind you use for brazing copper pipe, etc., and I found it tedious and likely to let your steaks cool off while you're torching them. It's a must to start with extremely hot serving dishes.

I covet another cooing device: an infrared grill similar to the Tec Cherokee (which I may buy soon). As far as I understand there is no way to get a higher grill temperature than via an infrared grill. A quick sear on the infrared would probably be perfect!

Noting that for steaks infrared grills and sous vide are virtually direct competitors.

Today I purchased at the market a pork tenderloin already seasoned with "chipotle barbecue sauce." I'm going for 135 for 2 hours, per an online recipe...

Lest I give anybody the incorrect impression, sous vide usually involves spicing and perhaps buttering (or other sauce) your entree then seal it in a vacuum bag (the top of the line SV comes with a vacuum sealer and 10 bags). I'm still extremely busy getting my new household together and I've been making use of pre-prepared products a lot. It's amazing that so many products are unintentionally sous vide compatible!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Head Chef

I looked at some of those at Lowes but passed. I was not ready to buy one just yet.

Last night I did two grass fed strip steaks 1 hour at 133 with rosemary and garlic. Patted them dry then seared in a hot pan. Simply amazing.

Let me know how the pork turns out.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Executive Chef

PPT the pork tenderloin didn't appeal to me. I have never cooked pork tenderloin before so maybe it's just me...

So here's the promised pics of my first SV rib eye steak:

The package from Trader Joe's:

(after cooking, so that's why the label pealed off)

Cookin' in my Sous Vide:

Decorating my plate!!!

It was simply delicious!!!!!!!!!!

One very interesting thing I may have mentioned already, the sous vide technique is very time forgiving. I can't remember now when I put in tonight's rib eye... Was it 5:30 or 6:30??? I'm pretty sure it wasn't 7:30 because that's less than an hour ago, and 1" steaks cook for 1-4 hours. You can pull them out at 1 hour and serve them, or you can just let them fly in a holding pattern like LAX or JFK on a Friday night, or at least that's what the video says. So it was an hour or more ago, I forgot, I been busy uploading pics and posting. Probably went in at 6:30 and probably serve at 8:30.

So I'm pretty sure my steak will be just fine even if it's 9:30 p.m. (4 hours after the earliest I may have started it). It's just past 8 local and I'll probably serve in the next 30 minutes or so. Munchies: done. Salad: done. Guests: none. Wine: middling, Trader Joe's "Two and a half buck Chuck." Moving: 3-1/2 weeks into it I'm just beginning to realize the magnitude of the problem!

I'm having a great time!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
PPT the pork tenderloin didn't appeal to me. I have never cooked pork tenderloin before so maybe it's just me...

So here's the promised pics of my first SV rib eye steak:

Decorating my plate!!!

It was simply delicious!!!!!!!!!!

One very interesting thing I may have mentioned already, the sous vide technique is very time forgiving. I can't remember now when I put in tonight's rib eye... Was it 5:30 or 6:30??? I'm pretty sure it wasn't 7:30 because that's less than an hour ago, and 1" steaks cook for 1-4 hours. You can pull them out at 1 hour and serve them, or you can just let them fly in a holding pattern like LAX or NYC on a Friday night, or at least that's what the video says.

So I'm pretty sure my steak will be just fine even if it's 9:30 p.m. (4 hours after the earliest I may have started it). It's just past 8 local and I'll probably serve in the next 30 minutes or so. Munchies: done. Salad: done. Guests: none. Wine: middling, Trader Joe's "Two and a half buck Chuck." Moving: 3-1/2 weeks into it I'm just beginning to realize the magnitude of the problem!

I'm having a great time!!!
Thanks for the info!

Your steak does look good.

Today I did see a video of a chef cooking lamb in the crovac package it came in.

Today I played with two things.

Steak and asparagus. This I was very happy with this. Cooked the asparagus at 185 for 4 minutes then quickly dropped the temp and held it while cooking the steak at 133 for 1 hour.

Steak and Asparagus cooked Sous Vide by powerplantop, on Flickr

I stuffed some chicken breast with cheese and tomato with some extra tomatoes on the outside of the breast. It was good but not supper tender like the breast I cooked a few days ago. This was cooked at 146 F for one hour. Not sure if it was the acid in the tomato of the higher temp.

DSC_0270 by powerplantop, on Flickr