Store sealed product direct to sous vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TSteak and asparagus. This I was very happy with this. Cooked the asparagus at 185 for 4 minutes then quickly dropped the temp and held it while cooking the steak at 133 for 1 hour.

Steak and Asparagus cooked Sous Vide by powerplantop, on Flickr

OMG!!! :D That was a good idea, doing the asparagus at 185F then dropping the temp for the steak. I sometimes eat raw asparagus (snacking while I'm cooking) so I know that asparagus really doesn't need much cooking (more so for the root end, but the tips taste great raw with a dip).

I'm boiling my carrots a bit before a quick saute then planning on pulling the steak out of the SV, sear it in a cast iron grilling pan then serve.

Testing my technique before GF comes over tomorrow, don't want to have a technique failure while entertaining. The veggies seem done now, after a boil, using a combination of SV on the steak and vacuum seal and boil on the vegetables. I have a feeling of being really on the trend line using these (until recently) unusual cooking techniques. The vac bags have been around for perhaps a couple decades as a retail package but the SV has only recently entered the amateur chef home cooking area.

I am enthusiastic about cooking my tri-tip roast. I haven't even researched the cooking instructions for roasts yet. Perhaps this is one of those SV recipes I imagined takes overnight or early morning start?

Two years ago I knew I wanted SV and that I would like it, but in retrospect I knew little about the technique. I'm glad it worked out well for me. This appliance may become one of my most valuable cooking devices!

All of this looks really good!

If you brown your steak and season it first then vacuum seal you will be exposing the meat to the flavors (including the maillard) for much longer. The vacuum will help pull those flavors deep into the meat and it will be AWESOME. Really intensely flavorful.

If you are worried about the cost of vacuum sealer bags join the vacuum sealer bags discount club here. I stock up every time I get a notification of a sale.

I noticed this had jumped up a bit in my subscribed topics, thought I'd update it.

I still use the Sous Vide mostly for steaks, and have vastly reduced my cooking time and temperature, almost to the point where it's conceivable it might mooo. I mean, if it had a mouth. ;)

Like rib eye steak at 119 degrees for 50 or 55 minutes, then a really quick sear on a medium hot cast iron pan. Do it right and you have your Mallard ... er ... excuse me ... Maillard ;) browning over an almost entirely pink rare to barely medium rare almost the entire inside!

If you like your steaks well done, don't even read this topic. If your guests like well done, cook something else when they are over. Or do the beef short ribs described below.

It also makes the best beef short ribs I've ever had, not over cooked but falls off the bone fork tender, with almost NO shrinkage like other cooking methods where you end up with bone sticking out the rib meat on each side. I brown the ribs first, then throw them in the bag with barbecue sauce, seal it. Cook it for 3 days. Google the recipe. No the 3 days is not a typo.

With the Sous Vide I bought they provided a vacuum sealer that has been fantastic! I don't know now how anybody does without some sort of vacuum sealer. I use it more than the Sous Vide. Just the other day I found a huge 2-bone prime rib roast, but too much to cook for myself and didn't have any guests in mind, so I just vacuum sealed it, wrote the data on the package using a permanent marker, and tossed it in the freezer. Prime rib for 2-3 some time in the future. Note that many Sous Vide PR recipes call for pre-browning... I can always break it out, brown it, seal it in a new bag.

I get 20% off coupons at Bed, Bath and Beyond and ordered a two roll package of sealer material I can cut to length, still haven't used even one roll. Amazon has good deals too, particularly if you have Prime and get it in two days free shipping. These are heavy duty bags meant for cooking use.

You could also use lighter duty bags available at markets if you want to just seal and freeze them, then thaw before using ordinary cooking methods. Until I got a sealer I never realized how handy they are, particularly when you get good deals on meats. Bad to freeze meats in the packages they come in. Good to vacuum seal them no matter how you plan to cook them.

Was the Sous Vide worth it? No, not really, not unless you already have the cat's meow and decide you want something just because you want it. I use it in bursts, cooking maybe 3-4 steaks over a few weeks--leaving in the water--then drain it and let it sit for some months. BTW that's one of the nice parts of this type of cooker. It is never exposed to food, so it needs little more than wiping down or occasionally a bit of dish washing soap and light scrub with a plastic pad, to keep clean. The food is always sealed so none escapes into the water.

If you already have everything, get this next!

Last edited:
I have been SV'ing for about three years. I am by no means an expert, but after awhile it's like using any other tool....second nature. The most important thing tho, is to follow safety guidelines for temperature and time, otherwise you risk breeding nasty bacterias. There are many charts online. Here is a good source. www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide
I presently have an Anova. My favorite source for recipes is at SeriousEats.com
As for steaks, if I have time I will cold smoke steaks for 30 minutes to an hour, rub with a touch of evoo, and apply kosher or sea salt, vac seal, sv @131F for med-rare, for appropriate time for size of steak. When done, open pouch, dry steak, season and put on screaming hot grill or cast iron pan for 90 seconds per side. Fresh pepper and serve!

I like the idea of just buying the submersible heater and using your own pans to hold the water bath. A cheaper and easier to store solution. The Anova seems to be well rated. I haven't really been shopping for one as it's not in the budget.

I like the idea of just buying the submersible heater and using your own pans to hold the water bath. A cheaper and easier to store solution. The Anova seems to be well rated. I haven't really been shopping for one as it's not in the budget.

I bought mine while Anova was offering $75.00 off. I was a bit leery, actually a lot leery at first! But my only regret is that I waited longer than I should have. You can make world class steakhouse steaks at home as good or better than them for much cheaper, or turn cheap cuts such as chuck roasts, bottom round etc into fork-tender cuts. There is no better way to make boneless skinless chicken breasts. SV'ing ends dry tough meat!

You can make world class steakhouse steaks at home as good or better than them for much cheaper, or turn cheap cuts such as chuck roasts, bottom round etc into fork-tender cuts. There is no better way to make boneless skinless chicken breasts. SV'ing ends dry tough meat!

You can do all this without sous vide by properly selecting, preparing and cooking meat.

You can do all this without sous vide by properly selecting, preparing and cooking meat.

You would be surprised at how many top-end steakhouses use this method.
And you are correct in saying properly selecting, preparing, and cooking meat can get you the same results.....but, you dial in the temperature and you CANNOT overcook or dryout your meat. It is perfect!
As I type I'm SV'ing a 4# prime rump roast I caught on sale. It's cooking at 132F for 72 hours and when done will be so tender only a fork is needed. Taste? Out of this world!

Attachments

• 20170225_144832.jpg
    20170225_144832.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20170225_152623.jpg
    20170225_152623.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170225_153632.jpg
    20170225_153632.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 94
You would be surprised at how many top-end steakhouses use this method.
And you are correct in saying properly selecting, preparing, and cooking meat can get you the same results.....but, you dial in the temperature and you CANNOT overcook or dryout your meat. It is perfect!

How do you know what would surprise me?

Of course, commercial kitchens have the space for machines like this - I have a large kitchen, but I wouldn't want to have something like this taking up so much space and many people don't have large kitchens. It's great for restaurants to be able to hold steaks at a specific temperature in volume and then put them under an extremely hot broiler or salamander to finish. Commercial kitchen techniques aren't always suitable for the home kitchen, though.

So yeah, I can get the same results without waiting forever for it to cook. But some people like to have this kind of toy, so enjoy it [emoji2]

Okay, i stand to be corrected, I do not know what surprises you!
But what I do know is my Anova fits into a drawer when not in use. It is a very viable tool for cooking enthusiasts that don't want to BE perfect to get perfect results.

Okay, i stand to be corrected, I do not know what surprises you!
But what I do know is my Anova fits into a drawer when not in use. It is a very viable tool for cooking enthusiasts that don't want to BE perfect to get perfect results.
That's cool ? My drawers and cabinets are already full with the gear I already have. We've been trying to de-clutter over the last year or so and I've gotten rid of some kitchen stuff, but I still have no room [emoji38]

That's cool ? My drawers and cabinets are already full with the gear I already have. We've been trying to de-clutter over the last year or so and I've gotten rid of some kitchen stuff, but I still have no room [emoji38]

I understand completely GG! And mean no harm. Sous Vide isn't for everyone, and to be honest when I first heard of them, my thoughts were that I absolutely had no interest in using or buying a circulator. But the cooking forum I was on at the time had members posting pics of their accomplishments using them. The pics were mouth-watering to say the least. So i splurged and am very glad i did.
Oh GG, every cook I know wants/needs more space, including me! Must be inherent with the hobby!
Peace!

I understand completely GG! And mean no harm. Sous Vide isn't for everyone, and to be honest when I first heard of them, my thoughts were that I absolutely had no interest in using or buying a circulator. But the cooking forum I was on at the time had members posting pics of their accomplishments using them. The pics were mouth-watering to say the least. So i splurged and am very glad i did.
Oh GG, every cook I know wants/needs more space, including me! Must be inherent with the hobby!
Peace!
Hey, no problems here [emoji2] I was just reacting to your statement about no more tough, dry meat with sous vide cooking. I've been here a long time, so I'm mindful of the fact that new cooks often browse the site and are sometimes influenced by statements like that. They sometimes think that if they don't have the latest thing, they won't succeed. So my comments are often meant for a larger audience than just the person I'm responding to.

I agree....on the world wide net any statement is out there to be read by one or millions. So we should be careful as to what we say. But I stand by my statement. I am a better than fair cook (by hard work not by training) and I'm a better than fair smoker/griller. I can get great results using basic means, but not everytime as maybe a phonecall comes and takes me away at an important time, or the doorbell rings. Sometimes a few minutes difference can make or break a successful cook. My success rate is not 100% using typical means of cooking, but by sous viding my success rate is 100% as an extra hour or ten extra hours will not overcook your meat. That is one of the the best reasons for sous viding.

My Sous Vide takes only a small area in my kitchen, although I'll admit I've sometimes considered moving it to a garage shelf when not active.

I think the real benefit of this type of cooking comes out in recipes that take e.g. 3 days to cook, more than enough time to break down all those complex proteins.

Yes it is important to observe health guidelines. Remember that USDA guidelines are based on reaching a peak temperature for a short time. Sous Vide relies on lower temperatures for a longer time, an equally valid criteria for killing bacteria. It's always a time vs. temperature situation, high heat for a short time vs. lower heat for a longer time.

I had hoped to emphasize how valuable the ability to vacuum seal foods surpasses the mere utility of the Sous Vide cooking method. Even if you never succumb to Sous Vide there can be no doubt in my mind that vacuum sealing is an essential food storage tool in any modern home kitchen.

My Sous Vide came with a heavy duty vacuum sealer from Bed, Bath and Beyond at $400, minus my 20% off coupon. I ordered it at the store, had the coupon rung off, free shipping to the store. I think free shipping to home too but the store is 5 min. away. And they are always home during business hours.

But really, this type of cooking is fantastic with cooking times on the order of 3 days! Just the thing to turn tough cuts into fall of the fork dreams!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom