"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
TSteak and asparagus. This I was very happy with this. Cooked the asparagus at 185 for 4 minutes then quickly dropped the temp and held it while cooking the steak at 133 for 1 hour.

Steak and Asparagus cooked Sous Vide by powerplantop, on Flickr
OMG!!! That was a good idea, doing the asparagus at 185F then dropping the temp for the steak. I sometimes eat raw asparagus (snacking while I'm cooking) so I know that asparagus really doesn't need much cooking (more so for the root end, but the tips taste great raw with a dip).

I'm boiling my carrots a bit before a quick saute then planning on pulling the steak out of the SV, sear it in a cast iron grilling pan then serve.

Testing my technique before GF comes over tomorrow, don't want to have a technique failure while entertaining. The veggies seem done now, after a boil, using a combination of SV on the steak and vacuum seal and boil on the vegetables. I have a feeling of being really on the trend line using these (until recently) unusual cooking techniques. The vac bags have been around for perhaps a couple decades as a retail package but the SV has only recently entered the amateur chef home cooking area.

I am enthusiastic about cooking my tri-tip roast. I haven't even researched the cooking instructions for roasts yet. Perhaps this is one of those SV recipes I imagined takes overnight or early morning start?

Two years ago I knew I wanted SV and that I would like it, but in retrospect I knew little about the technique. I'm glad it worked out well for me. This appliance may become one of my most valuable cooking devices!

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
All of this looks really good!

If you brown your steak and season it first then vacuum seal you will be exposing the meat to the flavors (including the maillard) for much longer. The vacuum will help pull those flavors deep into the meat and it will be AWESOME. Really intensely flavorful.

If you are worried about the cost of vacuum sealer bags join the vacuum sealer bags discount club here. I stock up every time I get a notification of a sale.

StuartCooks is offline   Reply With Quote