"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
TSteak and asparagus. This I was very happy with this. Cooked the asparagus at 185 for 4 minutes then quickly dropped the temp and held it while cooking the steak at 133 for 1 hour.

Steak and Asparagus cooked Sous Vide by powerplantop, on Flickr
OMG!!! That was a good idea, doing the asparagus at 185F then dropping the temp for the steak. I sometimes eat raw asparagus (snacking while I'm cooking) so I know that asparagus really doesn't need much cooking (more so for the root end, but the tips taste great raw with a dip).

I'm boiling my carrots a bit before a quick saute then planning on pulling the steak out of the SV, sear it in a cast iron grilling pan then serve.

Testing my technique before GF comes over tomorrow, don't want to have a technique failure while entertaining. The veggies seem done now, after a boil, using a combination of SV on the steak and vacuum seal and boil on the vegetables. I have a feeling of being really on the trend line using these (until recently) unusual cooking techniques. The vac bags have been around for perhaps a couple decades as a retail package but the SV has only recently entered the amateur chef home cooking area.

I am enthusiastic about cooking my tri-tip roast. I haven't even researched the cooking instructions for roasts yet. Perhaps this is one of those SV recipes I imagined takes overnight or early morning start?

Two years ago I knew I wanted SV and that I would like it, but in retrospect I knew little about the technique. I'm glad it worked out well for me. This appliance may become one of my most valuable cooking devices!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
Cook

All of this looks really good!

If you brown your steak and season it first then vacuum seal you will be exposing the meat to the flavors (including the maillard) for much longer. The vacuum will help pull those flavors deep into the meat and it will be AWESOME. Really intensely flavorful.

If you are worried about the cost of vacuum sealer bags join the vacuum sealer bags discount club here. I stock up every time I get a notification of a sale.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I noticed this had jumped up a bit in my subscribed topics, thought I'd update it.

I still use the Sous Vide mostly for steaks, and have vastly reduced my cooking time and temperature, almost to the point where it's conceivable it might mooo. I mean, if it had a mouth.

Like rib eye steak at 119 degrees for 50 or 55 minutes, then a really quick sear on a medium hot cast iron pan. Do it right and you have your Mallard ... er ... excuse me ... Maillard browning over an almost entirely pink rare to barely medium rare almost the entire inside!

If you like your steaks well done, don't even read this topic. If your guests like well done, cook something else when they are over. Or do the beef short ribs described below.

It also makes the best beef short ribs I've ever had, not over cooked but falls off the bone fork tender, with almost NO shrinkage like other cooking methods where you end up with bone sticking out the rib meat on each side. I brown the ribs first, then throw them in the bag with barbecue sauce, seal it. Cook it for 3 days. Google the recipe. No the 3 days is not a typo.

With the Sous Vide I bought they provided a vacuum sealer that has been fantastic! I don't know now how anybody does without some sort of vacuum sealer. I use it more than the Sous Vide. Just the other day I found a huge 2-bone prime rib roast, but too much to cook for myself and didn't have any guests in mind, so I just vacuum sealed it, wrote the data on the package using a permanent marker, and tossed it in the freezer. Prime rib for 2-3 some time in the future. Note that many Sous Vide PR recipes call for pre-browning... I can always break it out, brown it, seal it in a new bag.

I get 20% off coupons at Bed, Bath and Beyond and ordered a two roll package of sealer material I can cut to length, still haven't used even one roll. Amazon has good deals too, particularly if you have Prime and get it in two days free shipping. These are heavy duty bags meant for cooking use.

You could also use lighter duty bags available at markets if you want to just seal and freeze them, then thaw before using ordinary cooking methods. Until I got a sealer I never realized how handy they are, particularly when you get good deals on meats. Bad to freeze meats in the packages they come in. Good to vacuum seal them no matter how you plan to cook them.

Was the Sous Vide worth it? No, not really, not unless you already have the cat's meow and decide you want something just because you want it. I use it in bursts, cooking maybe 3-4 steaks over a few weeks--leaving in the water--then drain it and let it sit for some months. BTW that's one of the nice parts of this type of cooker. It is never exposed to food, so it needs little more than wiping down or occasionally a bit of dish washing soap and light scrub with a plastic pad, to keep clean. The food is always sealed so none escapes into the water.

If you already have everything, get this next!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Anyone seen a good deal on an immersion style Sous Vide?
I saw one at Christmas time and did not buy it.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

I have been SV'ing for about three years. I am by no means an expert, but after awhile it's like using any other tool....second nature. The most important thing tho, is to follow safety guidelines for temperature and time, otherwise you risk breeding nasty bacterias. There are many charts online. Here is a good source. http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/...perature-guide
I presently have an Anova. My favorite source for recipes is at SeriousEats.com
As for steaks, if I have time I will cold smoke steaks for 30 minutes to an hour, rub with a touch of evoo, and apply kosher or sea salt, vac seal, sv @131F for med-rare, for appropriate time for size of steak. When done, open pouch, dry steak, season and put on screaming hot grill or cast iron pan for 90 seconds per side. Fresh pepper and serve!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

I like the idea of just buying the submersible heater and using your own pans to hold the water bath. A cheaper and easier to store solution. The Anova seems to be well rated. I haven't really been shopping for one as it's not in the budget.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I like the idea of just buying the submersible heater and using your own pans to hold the water bath. A cheaper and easier to store solution. The Anova seems to be well rated. I haven't really been shopping for one as it's not in the budget.
I bought mine while Anova was offering $75.00 off. I was a bit leery, actually a lot leery at first! But my only regret is that I waited longer than I should have. You can make world class steakhouse steaks at home as good or better than them for much cheaper, or turn cheap cuts such as chuck roasts, bottom round etc into fork-tender cuts. There is no better way to make boneless skinless chicken breasts. SV'ing ends dry tough meat!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Anyone seen a good deal on an immersion style Sous Vide?
I saw one at Christmas time and did not buy it.

Amazon has a reduced price offer.

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar..._title_kitchen
Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerman View Post
You can make world class steakhouse steaks at home as good or better than them for much cheaper, or turn cheap cuts such as chuck roasts, bottom round etc into fork-tender cuts. There is no better way to make boneless skinless chicken breasts. SV'ing ends dry tough meat!
You can do all this without sous vide by properly selecting, preparing and cooking meat.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see them on sale from time to time at under $100, not sure which model. Usually at Amazon, Target, or Walmart. I follow slickdeals.net, as they regularly have cooking related items on the front page. The Victorinox 8" chef's knife for $30 is on today's FP.