Store sealed product direct to sous vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agreee! Beef shorties are absolutely heavenly cooked sv. I prefer them cooked about 60 hours rather than 72.

Off the subject here but fish and seafood are wonderful cooked sv, as they are so delicate in nature. I recently sv'ed lobster tails, that came out perfect in minimal time.

Hey, what's a few hours more or less between friends? :)

I'd like to try lobster, but would rather not have to take out a credit line on my house to afford it.

Anyway I like my lobster broiled under gas flame. I like the way it crisps some of the bits poking up.

I'm sure there are plenty of tough meat cuts that would benefit from long SV cooking times.

Yeah it was an extravagance for me at $400 (Bed, Bath & Beyond) but I like a few unjustifiable pleasures even though I use it rarely. It's good to be frugal but even a frugal person should splurge now and then.

I really like that my SV came with a heavy duty vacuum sealer. I can't imagine life before that! And your stupid Seal-a-Meal probably costs so little at maybe Walmart that anybody who doesn't have a vacuum sealer should get one. That's easily dozens of times more useful than the SV.

Note that the SV needs heavy duty bags, but I'm pretty sure you can buy light duty sealing bags that are not SV grade but still make a great way to prepare things for freezing and suck the air out so the water doesn't leach out of the food and dry it out as it sits in the freezer.

Last edited:
Short ribs of beef. You can Google several recipes: sous+vide+barbecue+short+ribs+beef+recipe
This quote below implies that there are recipes using conventional techniques that take three days to cook. That's what I was asking.

I think the real benefit of this type of cooking comes out in recipes that take e.g. 3 days to cook, more than enough time to break down all those complex proteins...

But really, this type of cooking is fantastic with cooking times on the order of 3 days! Just the thing to turn tough cuts into fall of the fork dreams!

Hey, what's a few hours more or less between friends? :)

I'd like to try lobster, but would rather not have to take out a credit line on my house to afford it.

Anyway I like my lobster broiled under gas flame. I like the way it crisps some of the bits poking up.

I'm sure there are plenty of tough meat cuts that would benefit from long SV cooking times.

Yeah it was an extravagance for me at $400 (Bed, Bath & Beyond) but I like a few unjustifiable pleasures even though I use it rarely. It's good to be frugal but even a frugal person should splurge now and then.

I really like that my SV came with a heavy duty vacuum sealer. I can't imagine life before that! And your stupid Seal-a-Meal probably costs so little at maybe Walmart that anybody who doesn't have a vacuum sealer should get one. That's easily dozens of times more useful than the SV.

I agree! At some point the texture factor comes into play. There is a little tug left on shorties at 60 hours. There is no right/wrong, just personal preference.
The lobster tails were the little 4oz.ers. My local butcher had a deal for a 12oz NY strip and the 4 oz. lobster tail for Valentine's Day. As with all my sv'ing, it is finished outside on a screaming hot grill, cast iron, or inside under the broiler. The tails were split on top with butter before hitting the waterbath then finished under the broiler. Just perfect!,

This quote below implies that there are recipes using conventional techniques that take three days to cook. That's what I was asking.
I regret any compositional errors I may have inadvertently added when writing my post. If I didn't say it was a SV recipe then I meant it but left that part out.

Back
Top Bottom