Storing Cut Onions in a Bottle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have recently tried putting the unused portion of an onion in a mayonnaise jar and store it in the fridge (no, not put on the porch of Funk and Wagnells') ;)

It seems to work well. The odor of the onions stays within the bottle, but it is really strong. Am I at risk of any kind of bacteria by doing this? any danger? When do good onions go bad?

Should be fine if you aren't storing it too long. I would make sure you wash it out and dry it every time you finish an onion. Things can rot quicker if moisture is sealed in for too long.

What Rock said!

I keep mine in a small lidded plastic container. I have had them last 3 - 4 days, mostly because I have used them up by that point.

I put them in a zip bag, then on a shelf in the fridge where I can see them and use them up.

I put them in a ziplock bag and keep it in the crisper drawer. Not sure if that helps them stay fresh...that's just where I keep all the veggies. They stay pretty fresh even after a week.

I have good luck chopping and freezing onions. Also, I chop and freeze carrots and celery with the onions in a freezer bag. A nice timesaver for when I'm making soup.

I store my partial onions in a Rubbermaid or similar plastic container in the fridge. We use partial onions mostly for slices.

I buy a 2 pound bag of chopped onion. The onions are local and place that chops and bags them is just down the street from where I live, so I know they're fresh. When I get home from the store, I put the chopped onions into sandwich bags in half cup portions. I then take all the half cup portions and put them is a zippered freezer bag and freeze them. When I need onions I simply pull out the required number of sandwich bags and let them thaw. So far, I haven't had an onion emergency where I had to have onions immediately and couldn't wait for them to thaw, but, hey, anything's possible!

I like the idea of reusing the mayo jar - I hate throwing those things out! I typically do like the rest of you and put in a baggie but lately, I've gotten some powerful onions and the smell permeates even heavy duty ziploc bags. Thanks for the idea!

We use onions so often, and so quickly, that there's rarely a problem with spoilage. However, when I do have to store an already-cut onion I place it, cut side down, on a piece of Press 'n Seal plastic wrap. Bring all the edges of the wrap up and twist into a "tail" and put the covered onion into a sandwich bag. Never had a problem with onion odor permeating the refrigerator. One thing I like about the Press 'n Seal is that is seals so completely that the onion is almost like freshly-cut when I take it out to use it even after a number of days of storage.

Back
Top Bottom