Storing duck fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I traded some fresh-pressed apple cider for 1 lb of rendered duck fat today. What is the best way to store it? I was thinking of putting it in an ice cube tray, letting it harden in the fridge, popping the cubes out, wrapping them in waxed paper, and then shoving them in a wide-mouthed Mason jar. That way, I can take a T of duck fat out as needed (OMG, can I limit myself to 1 T of duck fat at a time!!!).

Or, just put it in a Mason jar and store it in the fridge. Currently, it is in one of those "take-out salad containers."

How do you store duck fat? What about goose fat (got that coming as well). :pig::pig: Squeal! Squeal!

I traded some fresh-pressed apple cider for 1 lb of rendered duck fat today. What is the best way to store it? I was thinking of putting it in an ice cube tray, letting it harden in the fridge, popping the cubes out, wrapping them in waxed paper, and then shoving them in a wide-mouthed Mason jar. That way, I can take a T of duck fat out as needed (OMG, can I limit myself to 1 T of duck fat at a time!!!).

Or, just put it in a Mason jar and store it in the fridge. Currently, it is in one of those "take-out salad containers."

How do you store duck fat? What about goose fat (got that coming as well). :pig::pig: Squeal! Squeal!
If it hasn't already been clarified you'll need to remove any bits that may be in it. Put the fat into a pan of cold water and slowly heat it on the stove top until the fat melts. Remove from the heat and set aside, undisturbed, until the fat solidifies on the top of the water. Remove the fat and dry it on some absorbent kitchen paper. The bits out of the fat will be in the water. Discard them.

Then I usually melt the fat gently and pour it into a screw top jar and keep it in the 'fridge and scoop out what I need when I need it. It will keep as long as you need it to.

This works for goose, duck or any sort of fat from cooking a piece of fat (but only worth doing if there's a lot of fat). Duck and goose fat both make delicious roast potatoes and a friend of mine swears by beef "dripping" (ie clarified beef fat) for making (English-type) chips.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I always have a coupe pints of duck fat on hand.

Melt it - pour it into freezer safe containers - freeze it. It will keep indefinitely in the freezer. Although it freezes firm, it's not rock solid. You can still scoop out tablespoonfuls as needed.

This works for goose, duck or any sort of fat from cooking a piece of fat (but only worth doing if there's a lot of fat). Duck and goose fat both make delicious roast potatoes and a friend of mine swears by beef "dripping" (ie clarified beef fat) for making (English-type) chips.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Sorry, correction. I should have written "from cooking a piece of meat"

You could probably clarify it in the microwave. I use the MW to clarify butter. Careful that it doesn't bubble over.

Ice cube tray, or freeze it as flat as you can in a ziplock, then just break off a piece when you need it and put the rest back in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom