Storing food after cooking, HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jp, I keep a couple of 1-litre drink bottles in my freezer to use to chill down foods and to help defat stocks, etc. I just swish the bottles in the food and within a short time they are cool enough to refrigerate or put into the freezer.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Micheal! Whats a chill blaster? Is it a plastic tube filled with frozen water? How well do they work in a big pot?

I think they might be called blast chillers not chill blasters, you can see them on "iron chef"; restaurant style fridges with super cold/super fast cooling.
I'm sure there's restaurant supply websites you can google that'll describe it better

Last edited:
Michael Cook said:
Hot food should never be put into a refridgerator as fridges aren't designed to lower food and the thermal imballance can raise the temp of the other food to unsafe temps (over 41 F)For that you need a blast chiller. .

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. IMO it's sort of an urban myth that causes people to do what the original poster did.

It depends on the quantity of food and how "hot" it is.

Modern refrigerators are perfectly capable of adjusting to maintain safe temps of its contents even if a relatively hot item is placed in it, as long as it's not a huge amout of really hot food.

Sure you should always cool your food down as much as practicable before you put it in the fridge, but you needn't worry excessively about putting something that hasn't completely cooled in the fridge if you have to.

food is science!

jennyema said:
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about this. IMO it's sort of an urban myth that causes people to do what the original poster did.

It depends on the quantity of food and how "hot" it is.

Modern refrigerators are perfectly capable of adjusting to maintain safe temps of its contents even if a relatively hot item is placed in it, as long as it's not a huge amout of really hot food.

Sure you should always cool your food down as much as practicable before you put it in the fridge, but you needn't worry excessively about putting something that hasn't completely cooled in the fridge if you have to.

Well, I dunno about urban myth, it's still taught in servesafe training. Still, if you've got data that debunks this I'd like to see it. With verifiable and repeatable data ANSI would probably update their next textbook! That's engaged cooking! Have you put hot stock or other hot liquid into the fridge and seen how long it takes to come down below 41 F? Did the other food go above 41F? I love debunking urban myths (such as never rinse yer mushrooms, thank you Alton Brown for debunking that one! no more mushroom brush for me!) Please share your data!:)

In my home schooling group, I am more affectionately known as the Cooking Lady. I have been teaching elementary aged all the way to middle school age children the basics of cooking and kitchen short cute.

What I do not skimp on is the food safety section. Each class semester I start off with the basics, simple common kitchen appliances and gadgets. things they see every day. And the very first thing we cover is kitchen/food safety.

They learn to wear closed toed shoes, pull their hair back and wash their hands. (Remember, I am dealing with children who think that picking their noes is AOK!) And I drag with me, a poster board of the temperatures that are the safe zone, and the danger zone. And as stated before the danger zone is from 40-140 degrees (However, I think it has recently been changed to 135 degrees, someone correct me if I am wrong) And they know that there is only a two hour window. After that, I tell them to chuck it, and especially if there is meat involved.

I remember recently, I was visiting my mom (Old Southern woman) and she had made lima beans seasoned with a hunk of ham. She left them out over night. When I woke up, I asked if she had left them out all night and her response was..."It's cool enough in the house."

Mom, if it is not 40 degrees in here you are asking for trouble. And she said..."Well I grew up doing these things to food and nothing bad has happened to me." Well, can anyone say Russian Roulette???

One hour to get from 140 to 70. Two additional hours to get from 70 to 41 for three hours total.

wash your hands properly!

ok, I just grabbed my serve save book (fourth edition) page 8-15, I was being more conservative than I thought, they list it as 135 to 70F within two hours and then from 70 to 41 F in the next four hours, a two stage process of two hours plus four hours. Just goes to show how it's people's poopy hands more often than spoiled food that usually makes us sick.

Back
Top Bottom