"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Storing frosting

Sorry, I'm new so I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I made butter cream frosting using this recipe one the 8th, which is a little over a week ago. I stored it in the fridge and covered it with aluminum foil and took it out today. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to continue storing it (whether i should keep it in the fridge or freeze it) or if it's a better idea to just throw it out. I'm not sure how long frosting lasts, I googled but saw different answers so I don't know.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Seeing that it has dairy in it, I would toss it at this point.

If you were to make this recipe with water instead of cream, it would last a couple weeks in the fridge. The frosting would be less rich without the cream, but still good.

You can freeze icing, just make sure that it is in an airtight container, it will take on the taste of whatever is in the freezer. After thawing you can give it a quick stir to fluff it up, or hit it with the mixer to get it fluffy again.